1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RQT struggling with behaviour management

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by nutrition02, Dec 21, 2019.

1. nutrition02

nutrition02 New commenter

Need help please? I cannot seem to get my behaviour management right, students still talk, stay off task, don’t listen or respect me. Then another teacher walks in in they are immediately quiet, on task and working hard. I feel so inadequate and hopeless
    I am starting a new job in January and really concerned, I have 2 weeks to sort this out. Are there any videos, books anything I can do to help me , please??? TIA

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

When you are in a new post, the students are going to see how you will deal with certain matters. So do not think it is you.

What follows is what helped me:

Know the school behaviour policy in detail. Use the systems set up for detentions and contacting home etc. This must be your first thing to do.

Have three rules you get the students to write in their books. Example are

Follow instructions fast
    Stay on task
    Work without disturbing others

Teach them the routines/behaviours you want to see. Especially ones about entering and leaving the room, starters, the tegister etc. Don't assume they know ehat you expect. Do want the to stand behind their chairs before you invite them to sit down? Line up outside the door?

Have a rewards system in place. Call home on Fridays to praise the ones that have done well or send post cards home.

Most of all ACT as though you are confident and YOU are in charge.

Don't allow students to speak over you.

Have scripts that you use to remind the students of the rules. You could make up tokens to place on their desks when you give a warning. 3 tokens and they are removed or whatever your school uses.

Try reading Craft of the Classroom which is excellent.

Ensure your appearance is immaculate and you dress smartly as students do notice. You dont have to wear designer outfits but you probably get the picture.

Ensure you keep your room spotless and uncluttered and give students jobs to help you keep it that way. Clean as you go. At the end of each day before you leave mske sure your toom is tidy ready for tbe next day.

Be strict but kind.

Stand tall and speak confidently. Ensure you have plenty of work to last the lesson and backups too.

Believe in yourself and remember it may take 10,000 hours to become proficient in a craft.

You can do it...one day at a time.

Keep a journal for what works and what doesnt and see if you can observe some teschers with good skills.

katykook and kpjf like this.
  3. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Great advice by Pepper5. I found some of this teacher's advice useful and could be good for an NQT like yourself https://www.youtube.com/user/needsfocusedlessons e.g.

I started doing what he suggested, i.e. getting students waiting outside the classroom and entering quietly, rather than coming in noisily, especially for a lesson at the end of the day. Rob Plevin's advice is sound, I mean if they enter noisily you've started on the wrong foot immediately whereas if you get them to enter quietly then it's a better start so they can associate entering the classroom is when they need to behave immediately rather than 5-10 minutes later. Of course I'm sure if you're respected / experienced kids can come in noisily and it's not a problem for them to be quiet when asked.

One of my problems this year is I have a class like this for the very last lesson of the day but they are a mixed group so they don't arrive at the same time which is very frustrating. So, obviously I can't use this system and end up wasting time at the start waiting for the second half to come. Anyway, sometimes, what I even do if I do this system of entering quietly and one is a bit talkative tell them to leave the room and then come back. I do this because it's annoying for them, not only making them leave, but I also make them take their coat and bag so that they can learn when I use this system students need to be respectful.

Behaviour can be very difficult and sometimes the problem is when kids know you are new the level of respect towards you can be low until they get to know you. I would recommend Bill Rogers' behaviour management books: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bill+r...&dc&qid=1578918634&rnid=1025612&ref=sr_nr_n_8

Like Pepper5 says from day 1 tell them your rules and what you expect. Each teacher has their different ways and of course some teachers permit different things. It's also a very good idea about a rewards system; some teachers are all too quick to punish but never in a million years consider the positive side of this and rewarding good behaviour; it's always punish, punish, punish and do nothing for positive behaviour. I used to do a 'secret student' with a class I had many hours a week in which I chose one student and nobody knew who it was. Basically, if that mystery student was well behaved for 2 weeks and worked well I gave them some chocolate or sweets at the end and gave them the choice to move seats (but of course told them if they chatted beside a buddy they'd go back to the original seat). It could work or like Pepper5 says phoning home to praise the students etc.

nutrition02, pepper5 and AaronEbling like this.
  4. Hello,

I’m also an RQT who moved to a new school in September. Just like nutrition02, some pupils in my Y9 class like to say something then the rest gangs up or joins the class into discussing a random topic. It is then hard to get their attention back and for them to be listening.

My problem is, I have been told off by a member of staff for having a high number of exits in the department. I follow the school’s behaviour policy, which is one warning then an exit. When I started at this school, they said that consistency is the key to securing a positive learning environment. I tried other ways to not directly exit the pupil