1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Primary' started by secondpolo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how they would mark the Royal Wedding in their school/class? I thought a cream tea would be nice with perhaps a song sung by every class?

2. Hi all
    I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how they would mark the Royal Wedding in their school/class? I thought a cream tea would be nice with perhaps a song sung by every class?

3. Is it not during the Easter Holidays? [​IMG]

4. I imagine that many classes will be rather depleted that week as holiday companies have lower prices for that week based on school term dates and that schools planned to be at work for the Tues- Friday after the Easter holidays. However, as parents can get 11 days off work yet only use 3 days annual leave and cheap holidays available there may be smaller class sizes for those 3 days!

5. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Not in mine k-jayne.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now this is tricky. Apparently 69% of people are indifferent towards the wedding, myself definitely included. On the other hand, even though I am a committed Republican, it is pageantry and those soldiers on horseback and carriages etc do look quite good. Thing is though, I'll be on holiday in Wales ignoring it.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I will be holding a class debate about the value of having a royal family. We might burn some pictures of various Windsor family members.

This is on the Thursday of course. The actual wedding day we have off, rightfully so!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I shall be wishing I had a KS1 class and so could talk all week about princesses and horses and crowns and tiaras ans all that.

As I have year 6 I shall have to somehow link it to SATs preparation at that point!

Letter/diary writing maybe...
    Maths problem solving linked to the wedding?

Lots of free posters from various newspapers to decorate the classroom probably...

Cream tea sounds good though....wonder if I can.

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I wonder if they realise how many year 6 teachers they've annoyed by making us have yet another day off before the dreaded week!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My first reaction on hearing the date was 'WHAT?? don't they know it is SATs?'

think that might make me a little sad...

11. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

We can be sad together. I made my class write a persuasive letter to William and Kate asking them to postpone their wedding until the end of May!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is SUCH a good idea!

Going to use that later in term when revising persuasion...

13. <font size="2">There are some really cheerful responses here! </font> I think it&rsquo;s going to be a good week!

14. We are having a maths day (using and applying) with a royal wedding theme on Tuesday (co-ordinates, budgetting, planning menus), then Wednesday and Thursday exploring weddings & traditions, the royals(who are they, how do they fit in with topics we have done like Victorians and Tudors), royal weddings and making wedding hats out of recycled materials. All to be completed with a cake and a glass of juice in the afternoon. (Still trying to persuade 2 staff to have a mick wedding!).

Not royalist but do think the children should know something about it and sadly most of them when asked didn't know who the Queen is married to, who will be next monarch etc. Some funny answers though! Tony Blair for Queen.

15. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We are also having a dressing up day on Thursday, with events in the afternoon. The children are really excited about it. Especially the girls!