1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding - What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Penguin1212, Apr 22, 2011.

1. I'm asking this because we are doing NOTHING!!!!
    I am so upset by this, a couple of members of our staff arranged a lovely street party type thing for
    next Thursday we all thought was to celebrate the wedding but it is for St George's day. We are not
    allowed to 'celebrate' the royal wedding, we are not allowed to bring in Union Jacks as it is St George's day (fair enough)
    Maybe I am totally wrong for wanting to celebrate this occasion? Im not a royalist, but Im not not a royalist either...I listen to stories from my grandparents and parents talking about how they celebrated the coronation, weddings etc It sounded so happy and wonderful...especially as it was often a time after the war my nan especially has some lovely stories and memories. Im just really gutted that out head cant see past his own opinion (Oh got a frown for telling the children it was the Queens Birthday and writing Happy Birthday on the board) In addition to this, we are not allowed to sing the Hokey Cokey! (Which I have researched into) OK Moan over....Just a little gutted.........

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm having a lovely couple of days off. I might watch the wedding if it rains. If it's sunny, I'll sit in the garden, drink coffee ands devour a book.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Eh? Please elaborate...?!!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Actually, scrap that - the Heroes Season 2 boxset has just arrived in the post. That's that taken care of then.

5. Apparently...the Hokey Cokey makes fun of Catholics and the Latin Mass...
    Ive researched this and it is SO not the case, was written by a Canadian Band Master called Al Tabor during WW2 as a song to lift peoples spirits while they were in the air raid shelters, other believe it is a parody of the words used during the Latin Mass although literally scholars have said this is conjecture and corruption..comes from when the priest had is back to the congregation and people struggled to understand what was going on...this was then used by a Scottish Politician in 2008 to urge police action against people who used it to make fun of Catholics...

Makes me so sad, what is this world coming to! People deemed to be so angry, change everything to something negative.. Was hard trying to explain it to a group of 11 year olds during a trip Disco when the head removed them! Not explaining it properly to them and me having to sit them down, explain it and then explain it to the group leaders....oh I need a new job! lol

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr can sort of see why the Hokey Cokey is a bit suspect then, especially if you teach in a RC school...but I bet there aren't many Catholics who would be offended.

How can a HT tell you not to even mention the Wedding? It is a national event. Stupid man! Can you not do something nice in the confines of your own classroom and just not let on?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Bloody hell. You have my sympathy - how ridiculous.

8. LOL Wish I could, have one of his children in my class [​IMG]
    Guess its something I have to just have to live with....! Oh well, just needed to rant really...
    Yes the Hokey Cokey is just another thing for him to dictate about, spoke to my priest and other members of the congregation some had not idea what I was one about! ---- we celebrate many other countries, their cultures, trraditions and stuff but when it comes to our own we are told we are not allowed Union Jacks - I feel sad, what is he going to do during Olympics next year ?