1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding on April 29

Discussion in 'Personal' started by landaise, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dande

dande New commenter

Are you trying to imply something? [​IMG]

2. I think you'll find the workers you mention will be teachers!! Anyone who is not teaching will get Good Friday April 22nd, Easter Monday April 25th and now The Royal Wedding Day April 29th.

3. dande

dande New commenter

No, I was referring to anybody who does a standard offfice/factory job, i.e. your typical nine to five, Monday to Friday.
    And as has been shown by other posters, many teachers are on their two week Easter Holidays anyway and look like they will miss out on this extra bank holiday.

4. 22nd off 23rd off 24th off 25th off 26th on 27th 0n 28th on 29th off 30th off 1st off 2nd off
    3 days work in 11 days

That would be everyone who does not work weekends

rather more than teachers

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Bloody hell, some of you are whingeing about missing out on an EXTRA day's holiday !
    Think yourself lucky, here if the Bank Holiday falls at the weekend ( like Christmas Day/New Year's Day this year and next ) you don't take extra as compensation, weekend ? Tough ! No holiday !

6. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Yes it did cross my mind. I was however mindful that the Tower of London is only a couple of miles from my front door. I am quite attached to my Head at the moment x

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Not if you're royalty!! I chose my wedding dress in Jan and it was ready in May for a fitting, and then had to be taken in. Obviously it wasn't designed for me, but i'm just a 'normal' person and it didn't take that long.

8. Richie Millions

I was thinking that after four months Kate's dress may have to be let out a little ?

9. Neither do teachers here

10. Or maybe we do and I just have not noticed

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

New Year's day falls on Saturday this year, will you be back at work on Monday 3 January ? No, you won't but here everyone will. We have May 1 and 8 as Bank holidays, they were on Saturday this year, Sunday next so are simply ignored, no holiday.

12. dande

dande New commenter

Where is here?
    Normally, in the UK, when fixed day bank holidays (Christmas/Boxing day) falls at a weekend this is discounted and the holiday falls on the next weekday.
    When Christmas has fallen on a Friday, I have known work to class the Saturday (official boxing day) as a normal pay day, Sunday as normal and then pay double time on the Monday - as this was regarded as the bank holiday and not the Saturday!
    Teachers in maintained schools are paid for 195 days over the course of the year. Some schools will gain an extra day this year. Is this fair? Fairness would say that all staff should do the same. And I think there will be other issues with those who work part-time who will find they do more than their 0.6 fte (or equivalent).

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Depends on the design, first a design, then a toile will be made and fitted, then the actual dress will be cut and tacked together, fitted, any hand embroidery or bead work done, the body of the dress made and fitted, could easily be done in 2-3 weeks.

14. Richie Millions

Thanks Lapinrose what about the cake?

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

They could get all those unemployed folks on to the job and get it done quick smart! [​IMG]

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

This is the first year my birthday has ever been in the holidays (instead of stinky work) and they stick the poxy Royal Wedding on it.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well a traditional tiered fruit cake, needs to be made between 1 and 3 months before the wedding, weekly infusions of brandy, then depending on how many tiers, probably 5 or 7, day to marzipan, day to dry, up to 7 coats of flat icing. Decorating could well take up to a week depending on the complexity of runouts, sugar flowers, butterflies etc.

But if they are going to go for a simple style, a plain iced cake with fresh flowers on looks very good. They may of course choose to go for a Chocolate cake, which is all very last minute!!

http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I am drooling looking at those cakes!!

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We have a tradition of avoiding royal celebrations. When Charles go married, we went to the Dassett hills for a picnic to be far away from blaring TV sets and silly flag waving.

20. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My husband and I had a good look in the window of that shop last time we were in Brighton! Yummy!