1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding on April 29

Discussion in 'Personal' started by landaise, Nov 23, 2010.

1. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It's a Friday, will be a bank holiday, but isn't it during your Easter holidays ?

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It's a Friday, will be a bank holiday, but isn't it during your Easter holidays ?

3. dande

dande New commenter

I thought the same. So if it is a public/bank holiday does this means schools can take another day off at another time? How does this impact on 195 days? Also, what about other salaried careers, e.g. doctors, etc.

4. We break up on April 8th and go back Tuesday 26th. The students aren't in until Wednesday 27th. Think I could get used to two day teaching weeks.

5. dande

dande New commenter

Good Friday 22nd April
    Easter Sunday 23rd April
    Easter Monday 25th April
    Wedding Friday 29th April.

Seems such a daft choice of date! Wonder what the thinking was with this?

6. dande

dande New commenter

So, does this mean you get an extra day that other schools will not be getting?

7. It offers the possibility of a long holiday weekend with Monday's May Day being on the 2 May?

8. dande

dande New commenter

Didn't think of that one. Wait now for the business leaders to come out with comments on this. Some workers will only do 3 days work over an eleven day period. Would it almost be easier for some places to give everybody the three days off in between (from their annual holidays) and shut up shop?

9. We go back after the Easter hols on 26th too. My friend got married on 29th April a few years ago so I said at least she'll have the day off for her anniversary!

10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes,it does and I'm looking forward to that!

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Alas another day with no pay!! We only get paid for thedays we work in TEFL!! But it will make useful teaching material~!!

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

bread head

13. And most employers are expected to pay their employees to do nothing. It's easy for the government to be generous with other people's money.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've not had any work since the end of August, hopefully student numbers will be picking up by Easter, so I'll have some work. It's fine to be sarcastic but not when it's about trying to live without an income.

15. I note that the following year teachers work 194 days instead of 195 due to the Bank Holiday for the Queens 60th Jubilee therefore by rights teachers should work 194 days this year as well!!!!

16. I feel for my sessional staff because they'll miss out on a days pay too.
    Those of us who are salaried will enjoy an extra day off as it's during term time here. I'm looking forward to watching some of it with my little girls because they'll enjoy the pomp and ceremony.

17. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

We break up April 8th and go back Wednesday 27th, 2 days teaching and the Friday off, followedby the bank holiday Monday, bring it on!xx [​IMG]

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Be a bit cold for street parties though!

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Mr BS is very pleased that there is a public holiday being held in honour of his birthday [​IMG]