1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal wedding music lessons for KS1 & 2

Discussion in 'Music' started by walnuthead, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Dear b.ayengio

Thanks for that, nice idea, but we have a visiting african drum teacher who runs a drum class at my school.
    But I shall certainly bear it in mind in the future should we no longer have their services.

walnuthead !

2. v12

v12

Ooo I do hope they have that nice 'Let the people praise thee, O God' composed for his Mum's wedding.
    I like a bit of Mathias, I do.

3. Especially for you, v12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47GMYnd_Cw

I also loved that sad choral music they played for Diana's funeral (quite dissonant). I have a recording somewhere, no doubt it is on youtube too. Such sad music... I remember it so well, made me cry. Ah well, let's keep it upbeat!

4. Anyone know what that funeral music was, the really dissonant piece, quite excruciatingly sad? Can't find it on youtube.

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

6. Ta very much, walnuthead.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I am planning a lesson involving the following activities - basically it will be the same lesson for each ks2 class, so the differentiation will be by outcome.

Intro - sing "Royal Wedding" to each note of the scale, starting on C, then D etc. experiment with different speeds - it is quite a tongue twister at speed.
    play some wedding music - Widor, Arrival os Queen of Sheeba, the Wedding March - discuss how the music suits the occasion - ( fanfare to announce the arrival of the bride, processional music, happy music etc).Compare different wedding marches.
    discuss fanfares - children in groups compose their own
    discuss processional music - children in groups discuss their own
    The Royal Wedding route - discuss famous lamdmarks in London and plan own royal route, taking in 3 or 4 landmarks. Compose music to describe the journey past the landmarks. I am thinking of Horseguards Parade( eg wooden blocks /coconuts for horses hooves) , the Monument (fire sounds - burning, swirling, billowing smoke), the jewel house in the Tower of London (bright shiny sparkling metallic sounds), Tower Bridge (rising and falling motifs on glocks and xylophones for the bridge opening and closing. watery sounds), the London eye (circular patterns), Big Ben ( ticking and chiming), peal of bells in Westminster Abbey (use set of hand bells to compose their own).
    The children can work in groups and then the whole class can come together to perform their musical royal route, with some linking processional music
    a song to sing could be "i'm Getting Married In The Morning"

Hope some of these ideas are useful to you.

8. sparklepig2002

forgot to say that it could link in to the QCA topic "Painting With Sound"

9. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

Yay! Hi Lennox
    The aim for me (so far achieved) is that not one single soul, adult or child, in my school mentions the RW except as the name of the Day Off.

10. Thanks, sparklepig, that's my lessons sorted for the three days between Easter and the wedding! (The CDs from the Telegraph were very good too.)

11. KS2 - I am using it as an opportunity to 'tick a few boxes'! Lesson theme 'Music with Royal Connections' - playing 5 pieces of music without giving name or occasion, pupils listen, identify tempo and note on worksheet, also say what it made them think of and what kind of occasipon they think it could be used for. Then give them name of music and occasion and they fill in other bits (note technical language!) such as pulse, dynamics. Have worksheets if anyone interested

12. sorry - forgot to mention chosen music - Zadok the Priest, Wedding March, Song to Athene, National Anthem, Royal Fireworks music, Arrival of Queen of Sheba

13. sparklepig2002

hello - could I have a copy of the worksheet please
    musicace@btinternet.com

thanks you

14. I would be very interested in the worksheets if possible! Thanks! :)

15. hellothen@yahoo.com is my address. Ooops! :)

16. sparklepig2002

hi there
    any chance of the worksheets tonight please - I am teaching the lesson tomorrow.
    many thanks

17. sparklepig2002

a very useful resource - thank you for sharing.

18. gliss

gliss New commenter

Just loving the wedding fever......I have been teaching KS3 about fanfares, got some great youtube videos - widor, queen of sheba etc. They are playing a fanfare, going to compose a fanfare and learn about the organ, baroque instruments, the baroque orchestra and more. Made these three days a doddle AND the resources will probs allow for another 3 wks of lesson plans. Also did a great royal wedding assembly to yr7/8 today as well. Brilliant - thanks everyone.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The order of service has now been published - almost entirely British music, with a potential overdose of Parry (I Was Glad, Blest Pair of <strike>Nylons</strike> Sirens, Jerusalem, and his Wedding Mrach from 'The Birds').
    A new choral commission from John Rutter and another from Paul Mealor, plus Max Davies' new orchestral work. Lots of Finzi, Elgar, VW, Delius, Britten, Walton and so on. All very traditional.
    Let's hope the rain holds off!