1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding fun this week

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, Apr 28, 2011.

1. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Just wondered if anyone else had enjoyed 3 days of fun wedding activities like we have.
    For 3 whole sessions I have not written any plans, have not done any observations or written any post its.We have just spent two mornings on a carousel of activities- making flags, bunting, cooking, building castles, all sorts with a whole class break of free outdoor play. today we had our street party with competitions and Royal Games.

Why can't every week be like this without me sitting writing plans thinking about ridiculous development matters statements?!

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

One wishes one knew.
    Departs with royal wave.

3. I did a few post its but otherwise all fun! We only got 1 day of Royal wedding though as we have had 2 inset days this week. I am sure all the inside outside free access makes everyone unsettled as today we just had fixed breaks and all the children were engaged and creative and really settled inside. Maybe having 6 children away helped though! Now to prepare for next weeks moderation!

4. NellyFUF

I was just pondering that - well have done for years.
    When children know they have to be inside they do settle and engage - no restlessness and waiting for the door to open, it makes them involved in their learning. Then again, most chidlren benefit so much from the freedom and space of outside as in forest schools - but without all the pretend literacy and numeracy things that we do to justify being outside........
    but I have noticed this difference too.

5. NellyFUF

Being a complete Luddite now
    I do sometimes wonder if standards in reading literacy etc fall
    because a percentage of the early years workforce is outside.... there are times when my skills are not needed outside....not knocking the work that teachers do outside, but when those same people are the ones that can teach children to read, well, hum, dunno

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had Ofsted recently and the only criticism they made of Reception was that we didn't have free-flow to outside all the time. It's just not possible with the complicated layout of our area and 60 children - am I worried - no! Every child has some time each day when it is possible but not all the time, I agree with the comments above.