1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Wedding extra bank holiday- Do you get the day off?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by omcict, Nov 30, 2010.

1. This is goign to fall in our term time and at the moment appears as if school will completetly ignore it. Is this the case in other indpendent schools?

2. This is goign to fall in our term time and at the moment appears as if school will completetly ignore it. Is this the case in other indpendent schools?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

When I taught in the UK, my school used to ignore all bank holidays.

4. I'm sorry, I work in a state Primary school, so not sure about independent schools, but I have also been wondering the same thing. It falls at the end of our Easter holiday, so does anyone know if we should get a day off in lieu or is it just bad luck?

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You taught on Christmas Day? [​IMG]
    I know what you mean, though - many indies ignore the early May bank holiday, especially when Easter is late, because it often falls just after the start of term.
    In answer to the original poster, independent schools will vary - boarding schools are likely to work on the 29th while day schools are more likely to have the day off, although a four-day "weekend" so near the start of term won't appeal to some. I see that North London Collegiate have already announced that the 29th will be a holiday, but don't expect to see any consistent pattern.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Day schools will doubtless have the day off, as it is a Bank Holiday.
    I should imagine that boarding schools will have children and staff in as normal - how could they send them away? But may not have normal lessons.
    Whether there will be extra remuneration for staff for working on a Bank Holiday is an interesting point. As is the situation with mixed schools - some day, some boarding. If the day children don't come in, what about staff? Will some have to work and some not?
    Possibly HMC, IAPS and GSA will have a view on what should be done.
    As for those schools who were not due to start the summer term until the following week - you have lost the extra day's holiday, yes, but are unlikely to get anything in exchange for it.
    Just bad luck, I'm afraid.

7. Our students will come back from Easter holiday for one day, then go off for a 4 day holiday. I think attendance that day may be low.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There is no legal entitlement to paid leave on a bank holiday, so I very much doubt that anyone will get any extra remuneration for teaching that day (unless, like train drivers, they've managed to negotiate a deal). The best that anyone teaching on a bank holiday can hope for is a day off in lieu.
    It could prove to be an interesting test of contracts, although probably not in teaching, as some employers specify something like "23 days holiday a year, plus bank holidays" (in which case they'll have to offer a day's paid leave on 29th April) while others say "28 days holiday a year, including bank holidays" - in which case, in the present economic climate, many employees will probably be expected to deduct the 29th from their holiday entitlement.
    Bearing in mind that it is part of a "four-day weekend", and that weekly boarding is now more common than full boarding, my guess is that some schools will try to persuade every boarder who can go home (or stay with a relative) to do so, and that the boarding staff will provide entertainment for the small number who remain - so no day-staff involvement. However, as mentioned earlier, some schools don't have the normal Bank Holiday Monday off and, with exams looming, they may be mean and work through both bank holidays.

9. We haven;t been told anything but my guess is that we will be working on the 29th.
    I work in a boarding school and my contract states that any bank holiday falling during term time will be a working day so... We are working on Monday 2nd May so no difference to me... like snow days really :eek:)

10. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Same with us pooky. I think we will have quite a few absences!

11. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We as staff will gain with an additional day off, however the children are coming back a day earlier than usual (so we swap an INSET day on the Wed for a teaching day), so they don't gain, just shuffle about!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nifty, Trinity!
    But you lose a training day, then. Pity.

13. netmum

netmum New commenter

Had a letter tonight from my children's school to say that the Tuesday will no longer be INSET but a normal day for the children and the INSET day will instead be later in the year.
    Hmmm, so that kernackers up our Easter weekend away then.

14. Hi everyone
    I work in an indy school and we are not getting the Royal Wedding off. I think we all thought we were going to but now are not. Not sure if parents have been informed yet. I'm not too bothered about it really but some staff are not too happy about it!

15. I'm working at an Indy boarding school and our contracts also state that we are required to work on bank holidays in term time. Since school only starts a few days before we will be required to work on the Friday and the Monday. If it had been an exeat weekend I think that the decision would have been different but it is just too soon after the start of term and too short notice to rearrange terms to suit!

16. Where I work we are getting the day off. The term was to start the day before the wedding. To accommodate the wedding we are now working one extra day in the spring term before Easter and coming back to school after the May Bank Holiday. I also work in a boarding school.

17. We start our term the day before and have been asked for any ideas about what to do on that day. Either ordinary lessons or special one off activities. I think it is a golden opportunity to do some thing different.

18. Organising a tea party???!!!! [​IMG]

19. What an un royal lot of schools everyone seems to work in. Of course I suppose you might consider my place of work to be unduly Royalist instead. I really cannot understand what so many are ignoring it. At least one factor behind the governing boards decision where I work was a result of knowing that given it was also a May Bank Holiday weekend it was likely a number of the borders would not return anyway. I suppose the fact we do have Royal connections could play a part. Anyway, I am glad we have the day. I personally feel it was the right thing to do. Far better than trying to ignore it whatever you may think of the Royal Family, the holiday has been announced and given.

20. The thing is, Ellegrace, that my contract states that I shall work on Bank Holidays if they fall during term time. So I will be working on the Monday anyway even though it is a Bank Holiday and has been a Bank Holiday for a long time...
    So Royal wedding or not, I shall be in school on that day. It doesn't mean we're going to ignore it, might be a good thing to exploit the whole event, just not taking the day off for it - unless I'm invited!