1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal wedding delivers supply staff a happy ending

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Hazel Catkins, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I haven't worked for an authority for ages. Agencies put a large proportion of my pay and all of my pension in their pocket. I struggle to see anything in return. William and Kate, on the other hand, enjoy enormous privilege and will never have to suffer the indignity of supply teaching in order to pay the bills.

2. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Oh dear!! The vast majority of supply teachers ( I think) work for agencies who will definately not be putting extra money into our pocket. In fact, I will be losing out on a day's wage as schools will be closed.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A what? Paid to scale by LEA? What planet are you living on?

4. mereside

mereside New commenter

Read the original article and leave a comment like this:

Irena Barker should check out her facts before blithely stating that "Supply teachers could be heading for a small but welcome financial windfall - because of the royal wedding.

The extra bank holiday means the hourly rate for supply staff paid on national scales will go up by a few pence for the whole 2010/11 academic year."
    The fact is that very few supply teachers work through LEA's any more, many of whom do not even have a supply pool. No, we are forced to work through agencies none of whom pay to scale and none of whom contribute towards a pension.
    It would be useful in future if journalists writing for the TES would actually do some research and get their facts right instead of writing such utter garbage.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I work only for the LA on supply but the increase in rates because of the school year now being 194 days instead of 195 will hardly mean a windfall as I've only had around 8 days work since September. Arrears of the the extra hourly/daily rate will amount to about £4-20 gross due to me so far!
    I'd much prefer the Unions/ Government or LAs to do something about the lack of work for supply teachers because of Cover Supervisors and TAs being used instead of qualified staff. I'd happily forego the extra hourly/daily rate for more daily bookings!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What a load of cobblers. I'm paid LEA rate for my current supply assignment and the school's Easter holiday includes the Royal Wedding. They're having another day off in lieu later in the summer term, for which I won't get paid. Happy ending my **** - Wills and Kate are costing me a day's pay.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You should still get a slight backdated pay rise for every day that you work in the 2010/11 school year.
    Other schools have had the usual Spring Break and the Royal Wedding is an extra day off. The wedding falls in your usual Spring Break and the extra day off will be taken later. Both scenarios result ina 194 day school year instead of 195
    All daily/ hourly paid supply teachers will lose a day's work but if they are booked for 194 days they will earn the same from the LA as when employed for 195 days.

8. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Hands up any supply teacher who has been booked for 194 days this year?

9. This will be the same for next year too then, as we get an extra day cos of the queens jubilee (4th or 5th of June)