1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Shakespeare Company CPD

Discussion in 'English' started by jarndyce, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Has anyone here been on one of the inset courses run by the RSC? What they have on their website (www.teachingshakespeare.ac.uk) looks tempting, and I agree with a lot of what they say on there.

While I imagine a lot of this would be excellent for KS3, the sad fact remains that, by KS4, we're basically just doing Shakespeare to prepare for the AQA Lit controlled assessment - ie, with the ultimate aim of the students producing an essay that comments on form/structure/language, includes a bit of context, and compares the play in a rather pointless fashion to something else in the Lit Heritage. Do the RSC courses really help out for this?

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I went on one recently. Had a lovely day and learnt precisiely nothing. However, I have a background in professional theatre. My fellow teachers clearly felt they had gained a different insight into teaching the plays.
    Might be worth looking at The Globe CPD. It would be my choice, anyway.