1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Royal Mail & Santa letters

Discussion in 'Primary' started by L10, Dec 2, 2007.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

I've heard of RM runnning a service whereby chn send letters to 'Santa' and they reply. I wanted to do this for my class, any ideas on how to organise this? Thanks

2. L10

L10 New commenter

I've heard of RM runnning a service whereby chn send letters to 'Santa' and they reply. I wanted to do this for my class, any ideas on how to organise this? Thanks

3. I think the address is Santa Claus, Reindeerland, SAN TA1. I guess the letters would each have to be stamped for them all to get a reply but I've never tried this so not sure. If they put the school address on them and you send them all at once you shoulod ge the replies back to school to hand out. Don't think it's long before the cut-off date though so you'll have to be quick to get a reply before school breaks up.

4. nmason

nmason New commenter

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

6. I get the children to write a letter. I 'post' them. I write replies back to all individuals saying tat Santa will see what he can do - I also mention the contents of their letter.

These replies are wrapped in plastic and then a large brown envelope addressed to the class. I soak the envelope and freeze it for a week. The office manaer deliuvers the frozen package to the class - it's solid ice and the kids fight over a piece of the North Pole. Their letter is so cold they can't believe it.

I do this with Y4 - they love it.

I also mix porridge oats and glitter and make Magic Dust. You sprinkle it on your doorstep Christmas Eve. The glitter lights the way and the reindeer smell the oats.

7. L10

L10 New commenter

Thanks for all ideas! :)

8. My son sent a letter to Santa a couple of years ago and he was insistent that we posted it so I addressed it to Father Christmas, North Pole and put a first class stamp on it. I thought that would be the end of it but a couple of weeks later a letter came addressed to Luke and had a little press out cardboard sleigh to build to put mince pie in on Christmas eve and a letter for him!

A great service from Royal Mail.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

I once went round the Edinburgh sorting office with the brownies. At the time it was where all the 'To Santa' letters were taken and Santa had his own mail box! The brownies were seriouysly impressed and even the most worldly went home believing he existed.

10. In the USA the letters get sent to a post office and some volunteers answer some of them. Check out an Article on Red Letter Day at http://redletterdayzine.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/day-the-fifth-eight-letters-to-santa%E2%80%A6/ where the author goes to answer some of the queries.