1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Routines

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bumblebee435, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bumblebee435

Bumblebee435 New commenter

Hi

What routines do you have established in your classroom? How did you teach them & how long did it take you to embed them? How many times did you have to 'reset' routines this year? What are your 'can't live without/must have' routines?

What routines would you expect children to have already embedded when they come up at the beginning of Sept?

I'm trying to be proactive, reflecting on my current systems and also looking ahead: what I can do to help out next teacher/what to expect when next class comes up to me (KS1).

Feeling excited!

TIA

2. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Morning routine with same piece of background music playing. On the rare occasions we haven't done it the whole day sets of wrong and they are more distracted etc. Definitely think it puts them in the frame of mind for school and learning.

Non uniform days turn them into distracted monsters.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It depends a bit on the class. This year's lot are more 'lively' than next year's will be, so some of the routines this year won't be needed next year.
    We come in and settle with a reading book at the moment, but I'm expecting to do rather more active register times next year.
    This year, no one leaves their seat without permission, next year I'm expecting they will be able to freely collect resources and equipment.

But yes, ban non-uniform days! (Unless they are for something that I'm organising/running obviously. :p)

brighton56 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

One school I taught at had silent reading at the start of the afternoon for everybody - and teachers had to have a book to read, too, - not catch up on marking. The children found it both calming and enjoyable, settling down automatically with their books after lunch break. Quiet descended upon the whole school. I remember once I got so engrossed in my book I completely forgot the children were there!

5. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

I currently teach in Year 3.

We have a staff morning briefing so the chn often come into class before we've got back, so I established the expectation of quiet/silent morning work whether I'm there or not. It took the first term to establish and is constantly reinforced by either myself as I walk in (eg. "WOW, look how beautifully ___ is getting on with his work!") or on duty staff praising them as the most sensible class. It sets the tone for the day and the chn are able to apply it to all other lessons if needed!

The other one I swear by is class jobs. Whenever I need something handed out, collected back in, tidied up, sharpened, watered (you name it!) I have monitors for it. It saves me running around and it gives the kids some responsibility for their classroom, so they end up policing each other. I swap the jobs (which the chn have to apply for) after Term 3 so halfway through the year and it requires very little effort to establish and keep going.