1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Routine

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by angiebabe, Feb 18, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I think I am really missing the routine of going out to work. DOn't get me wrong I am extremely happy to be retired but there are so many day to day jobs I am just not getting around to. If I have to make an appointment for anyone I try to do it in the morning so that I get myself up and going instead of lounging around. Also by 4oclock I'm thinking to myself that its time to have another sit down and then prepare tea. Anyone else in the same position? What do I do about it? Will it get better when the weather improves and I am more willing to go outside?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think you'll feel better in the better weather. I've been pretty lazy over the winter - spend much too much time on my laptop playing fantasy house move. I do a day's volunteering and go to see aged parents every two weeks which stops me from feeling too aimless but I do get to the end of some days without having done the one thing I knew I'd got to do when I got up.
    Write a list - there's nothing like the tyranny of an unticked list item to get me going.
    In the spring I'll be up and out in the garden but until then does an extra bit of sitting down really matter? I don't think it does. Go and put the kettle on [​IMG]

3. angiebabe

Ooo thanks I feel much better now. Have just been watching more episodes of come dine with me and old reruns of diy sos and property ladder!

4. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Do what you want to do...that's why you retired!! Be happy!

5. yes I have also found it hard to 'get going' since the weather deteriorated however I know some retirees who say they just slept for the first 6 months. After half a year I am not missing my colleagues so much and thankful I am no longer coping with all the hassle they have now there is a new head. Also I have my 60th birthday visit to my sister to look forward to on Wednesday that being the reason I retired from teaching a few months early-it will be interesting to see if summer in S Africa focusses me better!
    My bad habit is watching bfast tv which I never did in my life and being fascinated why people go on the programme where they try Oz for a week with a view to emigration when clearly most cannot make the break from family!
    BTW I did not know I will not get a bus pass for another 2 years! grump!

6. angiebabe

Oh I got my bus pass (60 in January) but I haven't used it yet [​IMG]
    Yes I too get engrossed in watching tv when normally I wouldn't!

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

I find that this is the only way I get things done. After years of planning my lessons, I now need to have my own planner, I tick things off as I do them and feel really good, but without my list I achieve nothing!

8. I am 60 in 4 weeks but have been told I will not get my pass till I get state pension at 62 :(
    I make lists too...

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

But you can still get your Senior railcard at 60 - 1/3 off I believe, although there is a charge for the card.

10. angiebabe

No I think senior railcard is actually 61!

11. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Do you actually have a retirement planner? Oh I do hope so!

12. It is called the calendar in Outlook!

13. Angie - I could have written your opening post myself!
    One of the biggest changes for me when I retired was feeling slightly aimless...I never thought I would say I missed school bells and timetables. In truth I didn't miss them but I missed the routine and the way working made me much more efficient at home because I spent less time there. I did miss colleagues at first but school friendships always tended to be 'here and now' sort of liaisons and I note only one or two of the staff I worked alongside at my last place are still there...others have moved on too.
    Like you, I arrange early morning appointments and meetings if I can so that I get out of bed early.
    For a while - almost a year - I had to get up very early and drive my son to work. His office was in the middle of the countryside and wasn't served very well by buses. I used to meet the rush hour traffic again and cursed it, but once we got off the main roads my heart lifted to be driving around little lanes in beautiful countryside...even in wintry weather the landscape was uplifting. Coming home alone I'd have the radio on and sing loudly to my heart's content, pitying all the poor saps who were just starting a days work! [​IMG] I'd also go into town or drive somewhere interesting...getting the early start which made me feel I was still part of whatever it was that was going on out there.
    Now...like you I find I can put things off SO easily. Some (enjoyable) days go by when I achieve very little. I still get nagging pangs of guilt. I feel I am slacking! (Those pangs are happening less often and I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing!)
    I can quite happily idle my days away in enjoyable pursuits...and when it's cold and rainy out I have sofa days...catching up with good TV..or reading, listening to the radio, doing puzzles or sorting through papers etc...I STILL, over five years down the line get a tingle of real joy knowing I no longer have to go into school and face those pressures. My young men are usually around in the evening (not always) so if I am not cooking for them I'll be cooking for my fiance perhaps..or going over to his place to spend the evening there. (He still works) I am glad he is around. He prevents me from becoming a complete bag-lady who lives like a slob! [​IMG] I have to make a bit of an effort....and tidy up as I go.
    I must admit, house-work as something to occupy me comes low on the list of priorities...but it's nice being able to do it in short snatches when the mood takes me...
    I quite like my own company too, so although I have friends I see fairly regularly - and family too - (extended now the man's family are 'mine' too) I can quite happily spend lazy days alone and relish all the free time I now have.
    I don't think I'll ever become uber-efficient again...but I feel no remorse. I worked my socks off for thirty years and raised my children alone (mostly) too, so I deserve to be a lazy-bones now if I want to be.
    Today I have had an early start...had breakfast, fed the cat...fussed him for a while until he'd had enough...have showered and dressed...now I am on third big mug of tea...wasting time on the PC (came on to do a few online prescriptions for me and the boys...) and when I am done here (no clock watching) I intend to walk to the nearest supermarket for a loaf of bread....come back, make sandwiches for lunch and do very little until this evening when I go and do a weekly shop with the man and we have a pub meal out...our usual Friday routine.
    Don't worry about slowing down and being self-indulgent Angie....I used to worry a lot that I was becoming a bit of a slug, and perhaps I still should....but I think we owe it to ourselves to enjoy this time, whilst we are mobile, healthy, alert and still full of life.
    I am thinking of checking out my local WI some day...(Wish I could be a fly on the wall first to see if it's really the sort of group I want to join....I see the stereotypical WI member frowning at me and know she'd find me an oddity and perhaps a bit of a stirrer if I went off on a 'sod the jam-making ladies....let's live a little' rant.) I also intend to check out my local U3A group..mainly because I've noticed they have a reading group, and painting sessions. I do feel I must make a real effort to pick up the hobbies I left off many, many moons ago. I have wondered about joining a rambling group too...I do like to get out into the countryside and walk and that is something I wouldn't do alone.
    However...until I do investigate these things, I am beginning to relax into my new, carefree way of life...I hope the thrill of not having to go to work any longer never leaves me...I hope you experience it too Angie. [​IMG]
    Go and put your feet up...

14. I am only semi retired as I still do supply work. Yesterday I had a day off, just because I wanted one. My husband (also retired) asked what I wanted to do. "Nothing" says I. I really enjoyed my day doing nothing in particular. I read the paper, caught up on some TV programmes I'd recorded, went for a walk round the lake and little else. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

15. snoopycat

snoopycat New commenter

Thanks to you all for your replies! !!! I feel that I've got new friends already [​IMG]

Makes me feel better to think I'm not alone in this.
    I need to summon up the courage to step out of the house......for my own needs, not because I have to. Very odd.
    I think I have placed far too much emphasis on my career over the years. My work/life balance is completely 'out of kilter'. How do I redress the balance? I probably will have to make myself do things when I finish work. Like get up and get dressed.........
    Any suggestions for reading material on self motivation?
    (I can teach it as a topic no problem, but find it difficult to motivate myself! )

16. I think you will be surprised at how well you DO adjust. In schools we are at the beck and call of others all day long. It's lovely to be able to do what you want when you want.

17. One of the good things about being a bloke is the "prostate alarm clock." A device so cunning it wakes me up just in time to get to the gym.
    To go off the topic. Aren't you glad half term is over so that you can visit places without seeing loads of kids?

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I rarely wear a watch. What a luxury!
    It's not just the kids, all those adults should be at work not taking up places in the cafe.
    (Sorry, working people )

19. angiebabe

When it is term time and I see kids during the day I really want to say 'why aren't you at school'!!!

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was made redundant and although I could retire, I didn't want to at that stage. I really, really missed my work friends and lived in an area with young people, so everyone was at work during the day. I wept every day for a few weeks and thought about what everyone would be doing. What made it worse was the knowledge that the person brought in to do my job, (under a different title and conditions of course) was not popular.
    I went on websites and looked for volunteering opportunities and went to the local primary to volunteer. Then I was offered a part time TA job, which I did for 6 months until we downsized and moved further away. Now I'm doing a maternity cover part time, but will be in the same position again in the summer and will need to look for opportunities to volunteer in the new area.
    It is the structure of the days that I missed and the people I worked with. We'd got on so well and it's not the same seeing them in holidays when they're able.