1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Routes into SEN?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Riv, Apr 10, 2011.

  1. Riv

    Riv New commenter

    My understanding is that to teach in any state school (including a school for pupils with MLD, SLD and PMLD) you have to have QTS. Special schools do not have any different requirements to mainstream in that regard. They usually require experience with pupils with SLD or PMLD as an additional skill.

    I do know that our special school would not employ someone as a teacher without QTS, although they may employ someone as an unqualified teacher or a teaching assistant with QTLS. Jobs are scarce though and we're likely to have to loose some staff (the head says through "natural wasteage... what an awful term) due to buget cuts and the shiny new PFI school costs.
  2. Thanks Riv, I think I may have to stick with sixth forms and FE for now, just working as a cover supervisor in schools.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for CPD courses to enhance my develoment in this area other than the SENCO qualification? Thanks
  3. dzil

    dzil Occasional commenter

    SENCO's have to have QTS status now anyway so that route is out. If you really want to teach in a school you'll have to do the PGCE I'm afraid.
    Ideas for INSETT that is useful:
    signing (whatever system your authority uses, eg signalong, makaton etc)
    Use of symbols to support language,
    AAC's (alternative and augmented Comunication)
    VOCA (Voice Output Communication Aid... like Stephen Hawkin uses). Team teach behavour support.
    USe of switches and switch programmes
    I'm sure other forum members could add more.

Share This Page