1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Routes into safeguarding roles

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by khawley1971, Feb 9, 2016.

1. khawley1971

khawley1971 New commenter

Hi

I currently work on the admin side of things at school but would dearly love to move, at some point, into safeguarding. I know that you need to be either a social worker or teacher to become a safeguarding officer but are there any other routes in or jobs that work alongside the SO- I have not got a degree in anything unfortunately.

Thanks very much

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

There are jobs like behaviour managers that you could look at. It is not a safeguarding job though. Otherwise there are jobs such as learning mentors in school. They are not focused on safeguarding, but i am not sure that such a role that is 1) exclusively safeguarding 2) done by someone who is not a teacher actually exist.

Are you bothered about working in a school environment? If not, family support workers often work with social work teams.

khawley1971 and wanet like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good ideas there from @DYNAMO67 . I agree that I have not heard of a Safeguarding Officer role in a school that is not done by a qualified teacher.

HERE are some examples of Safeguarding Officer that are not full-time based in schools.

Best wishes

khawley1971 and wanet like this.