1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Routes into Primary teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by introspective, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    My partner has decided that they would like to pursue a
    career in primary teaching. He is 27 and has worked for the last 10 years in
    the media industry. He had quite a challenging childhood and left school with
    just GCSEs (main ones being C in English and E in Maths). He is very capable
    and the poor grades are due his experiences rather than ability. He has
    asked me to help him discover entry routes into teaching. Although being a
    teacher myself, I pursued the degree/PGCE option so I never looked into any
    other ways of getting into teaching and I guess there will be lots of experts
    on here!

What options would be available for him? Would he have to
    re-sit his GCSEs or are there foundation courses out there that would give him
    the option to apply straight to university? Would he have to sit A Levels?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Introspective :)

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

He'd need a c grade or above in gcse maths, at least 2 a levels, although realistically more as there's a lot of competition at the moment. That would get him on to a ba hons qts or a BEd qts, the degree would rake 3 or 4 years.
    There is always the foundation degree route, but again the minimum requirement is a grade c in English and Maths ( plus other gcses). A word if caution- some heads are very disparaging of the foundation degree route and prefer candidates with s BA/BEd with qts or a degree with pgce. At the moment my school averages 60 applicants oer teaching post- competition is very strong.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I think the requirement for A-levels would relaxed for a mature student to allow other routes of entry.
    However, to access an undergraduate training course he will need to get GCSEs at Maths and a Science at grade C or above as a minimum. He could then look into access courses that would allow him to prepare for higher education.
    The TDA website has a useful tool for looking at options:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/what-are-my-options.aspx
    It might also be worth getting in touch with a local FE college to see what access courses they run and what advice they can offer.

4. He HAS to have GCSE grade C in maths. english and science so that's his starting point. He oculd always get the Lett's workbooks and study guides on Amazon for each and get entered by his local school/college. Then he could go for a foundation degree and then PGCE or GTP (graduate tecaher programme). Ether way it's another 4 years after that. Good for him, but get those GCSEs sorted first.