1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Route to become A-Level Art teacher?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by jord001, May 13, 2018.

1. jord001

jord001 New commenter

Hi,

Excuse my naivety, and sorry if this is on the wrong board, it’s my first post!

I’m currently researching on how to best go about becoming a teacher of Art (& Design) students at A-Level, in a sixth form or college. I was just wondering if there was anyone with experiences with this to advise me what the best route to take would be?

Would a PGCE in Post-compulsory education be the right thing to do? Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

2. Babbit_Resources

Babbit_Resources New commenter

Hi
    Yes most colleges will want a PGCE (PCET) although some now will employ you to train on the job. Personally, if you can, I would go down the PGCE route as training while teaching is a big ask of anyone. I'm not an Art teacher but I suspect it's quite a competitive market jobs wise as lots of schools are reducing their Arts curriculum so any experience you can get - community arts groups etc - would probably help your application. I'd bear in mind too that in an FE college, you will probably be asked to teach L1/2 as well

Emma

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm not an Art teacher either but from my Maths/Science viewpoint wouldn't it be easier to go straight to the burger flipping/ shelf stacking rather than getting a PGCE and all the other hassle first?

EDIT: Apologies that's far too harsh but have you tried any sort of cost/benefit analysis given you're going for a contracting market?

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’m intrigued as to why only post 16.

Yes, it is QTLS you want, but as others say an Art and Design PGCE qualifies you much better.

Don’t be out off by the shrinking market. I can tell you that many schools are starting to steer their tankers around. The new ofsted framework for 2019 is going to really focus on curriculum.

5. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

What a condescending post.

6. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi I literally completed my pgce over like 3 weeks ago that should be fine but after that you need a qtls from the society of education and training but that can’t be done without getting the pgce over first.