1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Route into teaching with a Third class honours degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rockwhatever, Aug 2, 2011.

1. I am in need of some help! I have recently been awarded a Third. I was expecting a. 2:2. Before I reject my degree, is there any GTP that will accept my degree? I'm from Stoke but I will travel! Yours hopefully...

2. I am in need of some help! I have recently been awarded a Third. I was expecting a. 2:2. Before I reject my degree, is there any GTP that will accept my degree? I'm from Stoke but I will travel! Yours hopefully...

3. Hi
    Don't do anything hasty and do go backl to your university to see if the result has been confirmed by the exam board. If it is a confirmed result there is nothing you can do unless you can show that the university did not follow its procedures and that an error was made which would have a material effect on the oputocme of your degree.
    Sadly you are now very unlikely to gain a teacher training place with a third. There is a small window of opportunity as the government have not yet made a 2:2 or better a statutory requirement. It is their intention to do this, but at present proividers are free to take someone with a third. That said, there was a clear statement from the education secretary and the TDA that, until the requirement for a 2:2 or better comes into force, providers should seek to take the best qualified graduates that they can. In practice this means that many with thirds will not be considered for entry this year even though technically they could get a place if they interview well.
    It may well be that your only opiton now would be to get work experience and, if possible, study towards a higher degree so that you can put the third behind you. What we do not know at present is the detail that will accompany the change to entry requirements making a 2:2 the minimum (e.g. I know of people who have a third who have gone on and completed a masters degree even a PhD - it would be siully to say that the third would prevent such people from entering teacher training, but at present we just don't know.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    James

4. Thanks James. I have not yet accepted my degree. I am going to contact a few GTP providers in the next day or so and ask a few questions. I have worked as an LSA for 5 years and a Cover Supervisor for 2. I am hoping that this will sway opinion. If not I will sign up for another module and try and boost my degree up to a 2:2.
    Thanks again

5. Not sure about GTP, but from what James says it doesn't look as though a 3rd would be accepted. Have you considered other ways to train with a 3rd? Canterbury offers a 2 year Primary Education part time progression route which is for graduates with a 3rd but also experience in the classroom. Southampton offer similar with their BA Education and Training (Primary) with QTS.