1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rounders rules simplified (if that's possible!!!)

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by guzzel, May 23, 2006.

1. Does anyone know of a website or resource that simplifies rules and clarifies the finer points of some of them?
    Its the rules where they are open to interpretation, like a batter can run on to a post even when it's been stumped (from 3rd to 4th and home)because the rule says that stumping the post only prevents the batter from scoring at a stumped post. It seems like the game is becoming less about getting players out and more about stopping scoring which is fine, but what's the point. Games that rely on timed innings or number of good balls are made all the more interesting if the fielding team can get the whole side out before the time is up.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Does anyone know of a website or resource that simplifies rules and clarifies the finer points of some of them?
    Its the rules where they are open to interpretation, like a batter can run on to a post even when it's been stumped (from 3rd to 4th and home)because the rule says that stumping the post only prevents the batter from scoring at a stumped post. It seems like the game is becoming less about getting players out and more about stopping scoring which is fine, but what's the point. Games that rely on timed innings or number of good balls are made all the more interesting if the fielding team can get the whole side out before the time is up.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. can you email me a copy of the rules as teaching rounders tommorrow for year 3!

Many Thanks

ashtonjoanne@hotmail.com

4. Can you have a look at my question that I have just posted about an apparent new rule and tell me if it is correct or not? This would really help.
    Thanks,
    Adam

5. Just a quick point - make sure you find out the rules for the relevant KS. I was told that some rounders rules are different in primary and secondary. E.g. bowling in primary - between shoulder and knee but in secondary between head and knee.

6. I am sorry to say this as a bloke but I am constantly finding female teachers who are willing to cheat concerning no balls. I witness very dodgy calls on people being out, obstruction, height (particularly no balls being called at around shoulder height) depending on whether their team is batting or bowling.

7. Rounders rules are easy !!!

The rule being discussed here involves the tactics for scoring and getting home back to the batting line. If the ball is held against 2nd post when the batter who has hit the ball (live batter) is waiting at 1st, then thrown back to the bowler or elsewhere there is no score on this ball whatever except and obstructions etc whilst running around. Similarly if ball is held against 4th whilst the live batter is waiting at 3rd only 1/2 is scored for safely reaching 2nd. If the batter runs onto 4th whilst the ball is on the way back to the bowler its still 1/2 but the batter is back in the line so there's somone ready to bat. What some coaches teach which is a bit naughty and not very sporting is to dawdle to 3rd from 2nd as the live batter so the ball goes back from 4th to the bowler b4 the live batter i waiting at 3rd in which case rounder scored by live batter going onto 4th. The solution is for the fielders to be switched onto what's happening and for the umpires to tell the batters to hurry up and give someone out for unsporting behaviour.

Any more queries send them in cause rounders is fun and easy !!

8. Planetogg - are you saying then that the live batter cannot be out if they run on from 1st to 2nd when 2nd post has been stumped and the ball is on the way back to the bowler? And the same at 3rd and 4th?

9. More an explanation of scoring rather than in or out. If the batter runs onto 2nd post when it has been stumped they will not score 1/2 a rounder; if they run to 4th when it's been stumped they will not score a full rounder.

10. Dear giggirl,
    How do I convince the females at school that you are correct about the rule that you have mentioned in post 9? Are there any hard facts that suggest that rule is correct? I have seen the simplified NRA rules but it does not really clarify it properly. I hope you can help!

11. dnm

dnm

12. Adam -rounders used to be such a simple game that they the had to introduce complicated rules!
    The 1/2 rounder rule is relatively new, and mad really; if they can't get all the way round then they don't score!!
    The reason for wanting to continue to 2nd or 4th in the example I gave, is really a tactic if the batting team is running out of players. The team do not gain 'rounders' wise, but they gain in that the batter gets round and has the chance to bat again. Fielders have to be really on the 'ball', know the rules and tactics, which are all about stumping the post at the right time. A batter can also be crafty by not making contact with the post, and then if a ball is mis fielded they can continue to run and potentially score. A player on post must make the batter contact the post before throwing the ball back to the bowler.
    Oh for sunny summer days and flip flops when it was so simple.....
    I think 'planetogg' is the Rounders expert on this site. Remember I am an ex PE teacher, but I used to love teaching rounders and played in local leagues where tactics were the way to win or lose a match!

13. I thought....if you ran to 2nd when its been stumped and the person is out and no 1/2 rounder would be scored?

So what you are saying...means they can run to second as the bowler will not have the ball in the square, but they wont score or be out???

I have played in a few tournaments with our students never heard of this one!!
    We were given simplified rules to play with and this has never come up....

14. Thanks giggirl for the vote of confidence. The idea of 1/2 rounder for 2nd was to make rounders more inclusive, keep the fielding side awake and give the players who can't hit it so far a chance to contribute to the team score. As giggirl pointed out my original post was about scoring but as far as batters out a batter can only be run out by holding the ball against the post (however briefly) whilst the batter is running to that post so e.g. 2nd is 'podded' whilst live batter waits at 1st therefore no score, then ball thrown back to bowler, batter runs whilst ball in the air and gets safely to 2nd - batter not out still no score e.g. as above but ball thrown back from bowler to 2nd b4 batter arrives batter out still no score
    Hope that helps but happy to answer any more queries. The National Rounders Association run lots of coaching and umpiring courses especially for teachers - look at their website and give them a ring
    PS Can't do dummy throws from posts to con the batter into running

15. Hi. I've been reading all the various posts about rounders rules and would like to ask if anyone has heard of a rule I'm currently using but don't know where I got it from! It concerns the negation of any stumping made by a post fielder if the ball when then thrown back to the bowler is misfielded or dropped by them... Is it a proper rule or one I've invented somehow?!
    Can anyone help, please, I've got a Year 9 and 10 tournament tomorrow!!
    Thanks

16. Try the NRA website, they have simplified rules called 'Round the Track' failing that I can send you a copy

17. Too late for your tournament but in answer to your query, a post once stumped cannot be negated during that ball. Even if the ball has been returned to the bowler who may drop it, the stump still counts to prevent the 1/2 rounder being scored but the batter can run on to that base without being out. (This is useful if there are only a few batters left and you need to get a batter back in)

18. Hi, is it still possible for me to receive a copy of these simplified rules? Thanks for your time.
    vickyatherton@hotmail.com