1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rotten to the core

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by freshfriesan, Jul 12, 2009.

1. freshfriesan

freshfriesan New commenter

Wow. I have just spent a little time reading the dilemas on here, and have come to the conclusion that school management is rotten to the core. It is staffed by people with egos too large for the job, and quite likely people lacking in classroom experience who have serious issues with their own inability to teach. There are so many bullies who are always seeking to undermine the workers in their schools. Couple with that the brown nosers, and competitive teachers who do not seem to have left the playground themselves. There needs to be a serious overhaul of the education system and its aims. At the moment, the aims of the education system are reduced to meaningless targets. This has led to those in charge of the schools investigating which underhand ways they can reach these targets, and not actually care about the learning taking place.

For example: the BTEC revelution. Schools, such as the one that I work in are fobbing pupils off with these worthless qualifications, just to move themselves up the league table, and get themselves in the paper for being so improved. Pupils in y11 start to cop on to this when they have interviews at college, when they are told that they need more real GCSEs. Unfortunately, the government is in with this scam. Due to the fact that it makes them look like they have driven up standards in education. In reality, they have driven them down. In the school I work at, BTECs are nothing more than a copy fest, that increases the workload of the teachers.

After reading about some of the stff on these pages, and experiencing things I have in my school, I really am turned off teaching. To those higher up than me, education is not about enthusing and enthralling, and instilling a love of learning, it seems to be a means to an end of achieving some meaningless target, and now this is being fed to the children, what is your target.

In this quest to reach targets, managers will move classes round at a whim, from teacher to teacher, thus undermining and devaluing many staff, as will they move pupils round at a whim.

This isn't what I became a teacher for, and I am sure there are many more people who share my view. What can we do about it? Surely there are enough of us who feel this way? Or has this target driven mentality got us so scared about what will happen if we don't meet our targets that we cannot speak up about the mess our schools are in?

answers on a post card!!!

PGat likes this.
  2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It's necessary, when reading TES, to keep a sense of perspective. There are many schools with good management, where the staff work well as a team and the children are very well-served. However those teachers don't post as often on the TES: somehow there isn't the same need to post "there was an incident in my class today and SMT supported me effectively", or "our school have just come up with a new strategy to raise pupil achievement which we all agree with and which is working really well". It's very easy to read TES and think that most schools are terrible to work in.
    I do think that the target culture is distorting things, and that it is all too easy for schools to fall into being driven by targets, particularly if they are being criticised for standards. The main fault of that lies with government, though, not the school managers.

3. There are a lot of problems in schools, management is one of them. I don't believe however, that anyone working in a school does so because they want to screw up the education of the young people in their care. It is just that some people go about their jobs in a less than effective way. Misguided is how I would describe the "bad" senior management teams. Even the worst two senior managers I have ever worked for still had the best of motives. Unfortunately they broke everything they touched and lost the faith of the staff through various means.

4. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, Sideshow! Sadly, there are some people who will happily screw up the lives and careers of those they work with and use the education of young people to justify this!
    More common though, I think, is the misguided folk that you describe. They still leave a trail of destruction.

5. Bravo freshfriesan, I couldnt have put it more. The current teaching system is a disgrace. I have just finished a temporary contract at a College and all they are concerned about is the money from bringing pupils in and passing them. My manager even told me to pass two pupils that were failing and they are on the next years course because it brings in more money. We are taking in any old pupil who have less sense than two bricks but giving them qualifications. The management of schools have to truly look into themselves and start sorting this out. We are too interested in passing the ones that failing so targets can be driven up.

Your message rings so clear and I wouldnt mind using it and sending it to the principal of the college.

6. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I agree with everything you have said, freshfriesan and wizzywoz.