1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rotating Patterns

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by humpty, Jun 18, 2011.

1. humpty

humpty New commenter

Looking at symmetry in Maths and saw some art work on First School Years with rotating patterns by year 3. I was wondering how this could be created. Thanks

2. humpty

humpty New commenter

Looking at symmetry in Maths and saw some art work on First School Years with rotating patterns by year 3. I was wondering how this could be created. Thanks

3. As a resource they can use?
    Smartboard allows you to cut out patterns and spin them round a fixed point if you would like kids to get their patterns up on a whiteboard and do something interactive.

4. humpty

humpty New commenter

Thanks. This sounds like a good way of showing how it could be created. Any more ideas how they could create a rotating pattern using paper or are there any ICT programmes that would do this, that they can access independently.

5. A Geogebra app would work

6. How about Google Sketchup, which is free. It is great for making 2D diagrams as well as 3D diagrams. Are you looking for something like this: http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=94896 ?

7. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

You can used polar coordinate paper. I've done rotating patterns for years on this. Search on the internet to find it. It is very easy to use and to create very individual patterns. Young pupils won't find it hard. Just start a zig-zag pattern for example and continue it around 360 degrees.Then do different ones and overlap them. It can be a simple or quite "busy". Coloured in they can look great, and pupils find it very absorbing to do.

8. humpty

humpty New commenter

Thanks for your help. I will try this as it is quite simple yet effective!