1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rotating 2D shapes about a given point

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by raghad, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have to plan the above topic to teach Y7 L5-6 for 30 minutes(interview lesson). What's the main points I should be focusing on? I know the three points of descibing any rotation( center of rotation, angle of rotation and direction of rotation).
    What else I should be taking account of? this is my first time teaching this topic.
    And is there a good activity i can do for 15 mniutes?

2. Hi all,
    I have to plan the above topic to teach Y7 L5-6 for 30 minutes(interview lesson). What's the main points I should be focusing on? I know the three points of descibing any rotation( center of rotation, angle of rotation and direction of rotation).
    What else I should be taking account of? this is my first time teaching this topic.
    And is there a good activity i can do for 15 mniutes?

3. DM

DM New commenter

They are allowed tracing paper in the GCSE exam. Arm yourself with a supply and show them how to use it (you can use sheets of greaseproof paper on whiteboard).

4. Yes I agree. Make use of tracing paper. Prepare some shapes already drawn to rotate 90 (both directions), 180. Draw some shapes already rotated and ask for the angle, direction and centre of rotation. You may want to join a pair of points to their images and that will show up the angle of rotation. If you are going to use a grid with axes, have a look at the worksheet that I have placed in my resources (hassan2008). It will give you an idea. Also you can use isometric paper and investigate rotating an equilateral triangle 60 degrees, 6 times and generate a regula hexagon.It depends on their ability. If you cant find the worsheet, look in www.mathsmalakiss.com. I hope this helps. If possible try to show one rotation using a piece of rectangular cardboard or A4 sheet of paper, using one of the corners as the centre and rotate 90 and ask what the angle is, then 180, etc. Good luck with it.

5. The link is http://www.mathsmalakiss.com
    Good luck with the interview. They will be looking at you challenging the most able and catering for the needs of others in the class.

6. lilybetbee

lilybetbee New commenter

This is useful for demonstrating how to use tracing paper

http://www.teacherled.com/resources/symreflectflip/reflectsymload.html

and for more complicated ones
    http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/maths/echalk/rotation/rotation.html

Do make sure you spell centre correctly [not center] in your interview!
    Good luck!

7. Thanks for these useful resources!!