1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rosh hashana observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pink sparkle, Jul 1, 2012.

1. I have a lesson observation coming up which is focusing on AT1 and AT2.
    Here are my ideas so far-
    introduce rosh hashana and explain background. Then don't know whether to focus on creation side and ask pupils to refelect on why we should look after the earth and the things that we can do to help/what the world would be like if we didnt care for it.

Or

focus on good/bad elements of our school year and reflect upon hopes for the coming year as they are ready to move on to their new classes.

Any help or advice would be greatly received as i'm just playing around with ideas at the moment! I teach year 2 by the way.

Thanks everyone.

2. I now have a development please let me know what you think of this idea-

Chidlren focus ona worry that hey have had this year and write it down. They then take a pebble and drop it into a large container of water as they do they say their worry. The ripples floating in the water can then be their worries floating away. This can relate to People throwing their sins into water during the festival and having hope for next year.

3. That's a nice idea, good cross cirricular link with pshe and worries and what they can do about them :D I remember doing Rosh Hashana with year 4, I had them eating apples and honey so they experienced what Jewish people ate on the day too and writing what they felt bad about on ncut out of apples and how to make it better. They loved it!

4. To link in with apples and honey for New Year, perhaps ask them to say what was sweet about the last year. It's odd doing Rosh Hashana this time of year, though!

5. thanks for advice everyone. my lesson went really well today! pupils were really motivated and outcomes were good. thanks again x