1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rose Blanche

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paulie86, Feb 6, 2011.

1. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Has anyone taught English to Year 6 using this book? LA Drama co-ordinator has suggested it to us and provided us with SOW. BUT I felt very inspired 3 weeks ago when it was explained, but am struggling to get my 'mojo' for it. Any one got any fantastic ideas?
    Children have read Anne Frank as an abridged guided reading version, so I was thinking compare and contrast at some point.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Has anyone taught English to Year 6 using this book? LA Drama co-ordinator has suggested it to us and provided us with SOW. BUT I felt very inspired 3 weeks ago when it was explained, but am struggling to get my 'mojo' for it. Any one got any fantastic ideas?
    Children have read Anne Frank as an abridged guided reading version, so I was thinking compare and contrast at some point.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I've used it briefly with Y7.
    I was amazed at how much the children picked up from pictures, so it was great for that. Not sure I could muster a whole scheme from it, mind.

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Yeah thats what I thought, 2/3 lessons max. I can see how the pictures can be used to create ideas for writing, but not too the extent the plans suggest.
    Any one else got any ideas?

5. We did it in year 6 last term. I'll see if I still have a copy of the lesson plans from the teacher.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

ooh that would be great. How long did it take?

7. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Dont know. Never use textbookks. M

8. From memory, I think we did it for two weeks. I'll have a look at school tomorrow on my desk for the plans.
    The kids really enjoyed it.
    I remember they imagined they were one of the characters in the pictures (not one of the main characters) and they had to write diary entries for their perspective on what was happening in the town or the concentration camp etc...
    I'll let you know if I find it.
    Sarah

9. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Thanks Sarah, first lesson went well. They enjoyed it. Spent half the lesson talking about the first picture. :)

10. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

You never use a book to teach English?

11. We've used Rose Blanche for the focus of a Y3/4 Narrative unit on Historical settings.

12. I found this book when I was coming to the end of the topic on WW II last term and I wish I'd found it earlier. Loads of opportunities for "Book and writer Talk" -front page, pictures, colours, prediction, inference, descriptive vocabulary etc.
    I didn't have time, but could have either used it as a main focus for a biographical writing or story writing although could have also managed to include a range of writing activities such as:
    Diary writing. Thought tracking (what were characters on the page thinking/doing then /next) to inspire.
    Conscience alley drama activity could have been used as a precursor to persuasive writing (especially for the page involving the little boy's escape) Questions to ask characters on their opinions. Propaganda leaflets from either side, including the White Rose society.
    Research into White Rose society to produce web page/ interactive PPT of information.
    News headlines of attempted escape/food shortages - whose perspective? Rose? Mayor? Boy? Soldier? Prisoners
    "Role on the Wall" about Rose. How did she see herself and others see her. Follow up with writing a character description. Debate whether she should have a memorial/medal?? Discussion on resistance movement.
    Comparison of war situation, rationing, injured soldiers etc from both sides. Non chronological report writing possibly?
    Letter writing.
    Retelling of story.

13. I don't suppose you still have a copy of the plans? About to start some planning using this book and would really love some help.

Thanks

jbdevon likes this.
  14. jbdevon

jbdevon New commenter

You don't happen to still have these plans do you? I am looking at using this book for two weeks and want to know what direction people have taken it in.

Many thanks,

John

15. madelainesmith06

madelainesmith06 New commenter

Hi Sarah could you possible send the plans to me xx