1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ros Wilson Vs SATs writing tasks

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by nadishan, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Would like to know thoughts on this topic, does marking writing against Ros Wilson criteria produce lower levels? In comparison with SATs writing tasks and marking schemes what do people prefer and believe is more accurate?

2. Would like to know thoughts on this topic, does marking writing against Ros Wilson criteria produce lower levels? In comparison with SATs writing tasks and marking schemes what do people prefer and believe is more accurate?

3. I've used the Ros Wilson Writing Continuum, but I've found that this generally gives a higher level than the SATs. I think the level descriptors are quite generous.

4. I use the Criterion Scale in my classroom and find it levels slightly lower than SATs levels. when I went on the training i was told to take each point on its own and go with a negative voice - so if you have to LOOK for the evidence it must not be there enough to give the points. We do regular moderations of writing and the more the whole school does it and talks about it, the better and more accurate we are all getting. We HATED APP writing as it was FAR to wordy and also the expectations did not match the teaching!
    I hope this helps. Keep with it and just be a bit harsher![​IMG]