1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ros Wilson 'The Creative Curriculum'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Sep 27, 2008.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I have aquired a copy of Ros Wilson's 'The Creative Curriculum' and thought it was fab. I am the teacher in hcarge of the creative curriculum in my school and thought this looked an excellent way to bring the creative approach back in. Especially as some of our teachers are slightly nervous about it all!! I was wondering if anybody is using it or knows of anyone who is using it who could tell me how it is working for you or how you have adapted it or just what you think of it. Thanks

Michelle

2. Hi, my new job is to introduce creative curriculum at my new school, having run it previously elsewhere for the past four years. I have seen the new Ros Wilson book and it seems a good starting point for staff who are unsure where to begin. It takes units from QCA that you may already be resourced for or have experience of and shows how they can be used in a thematic curriculum. My only reservations would be that creativity is about flexibility and innovation and adapting the curriculum to your local children and setting not following something by rote. In my last school, we chose themes which we ran for a half term or term, using skills based objectives mapped to the National Curriculum. We are currently building up a curriculum with lots of real life learning experiences and community links that is flexibly taking account of children's preferences (choices within a theme for individual and collaborative learning projects, for example) and incorporating d and t and art, visits and trips out - lots of hands on stuff - to generate ideas for writing and science. We are implementing Big Write at the moment so it is helping our creative writing focus. There are some excellent case studies on the web on schools who have been successful with creative curriculum and recieved positive feedback from Ofsted but the best thing is that it is a fun and joined up curriculum for the kids.

3. groovyshell83

thanks. That was really helpful. It is always good to speak to someone who knows what they are doing!!! When you say you choose topics, are these within year groups or right across the sachool? And how do you ensure the children are getting taught everything that they need to?

4. We teach themes across year groups with interphase and acrossphase tracking to ensure that a wide variety of themes are chosen and that we don't overlap. At my new school, I am going to audit whole school and whole phase events that we already do and can incorporate in our curriculum, (eg Chinese New Year, International Day, Harvest, Xmas etc) so we can make the most of mixed age/ mixed key stage/ peer and family group work. This might result in us having a day or a week shared theme across the whole school. Once teachers have chosen themes they are mapped to the national curriculum level descriptors to ensure that everything is covered and any gaps can be filled - does that make sense?[​IMG]

5. groovyshell83

yep definately. Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. Is it the class teachers that map it to the national curriculum or you? And what does your medium term planning look like eg do you still have plans for Geography, History, Science etc or just one plan which incorporates everything?

Michelle

6. class teachers then tracked across school to ensure progression Medium term planning is mindmapped one for each theme

7. groovyshell83

would it be possible to email me a copy of one of the mind maps to maharvey83@yahoo.com

We have started to use a similar thing but I don't really feel it makes the links in the proper way.

Thanks

Michelle

8. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

where do you get Ros Wilson books from? I tried Amazon but they don't do it. Is it only directly from her site?

9. groovyshell83

We don't have a mind map reader. Is this some piece of software? Sorry I am probably being really thick. What we use at the moment has just been made using text boxes on Word

10. groovyshell83

Hi. We got ours from the DFES website

11. don't have access to mind map software that will export to word at the mo. will sort something and email you.

12. groovyshell83

thank you horace's mum. that would be great.

email is maharvey83@yahoo.com

13. groovyshell83

joesy how are you doing it in your school then? I'm looking for ideas to sell to my senior management team who at the moment are very reluctant to change anything!!! What was this course that you went on? Or do you know of any that talk about the skills based curriculum?

Michelle

14. Sorry! Got a bit carried away with the PDFs. There's just one lot of them. ;0)

15. I have been invlolved in leading this in my school for some time now and I have carried out a large amount of research of which method might suit our school (if any). I also attended the creative curriculum training and I did rate it very highly. The book does use QCA units as a planning model, but also gives two further models which are more in line with real contexts for the learners. These were expertly explained during the conference. In fact, this has been the most enlightening course on this subject that I have attended, including the training on Chris Quigley's book (which is far too subject secific to be truly skills based IMO).
    This skills based approach is about underpinning the skills to ANY model that you choose to design, and rather than buying an expensive 'off the peg', system eg the International Primary Curriculum (approx £8000), the ros wilson book came free with the training and promotes the harder route of schools building their own curriculum and making it relevent to their learners. The book offers different models for planning NOT just the qca model which I do agree is not relevent for my school.

16. groovyshell83

thanks Mr Colin. That was really helpful. Are you following her planning format eg all medium term plans on one piece of paper in a mind map format?

17. I don't quite understand Mr Colin how you can be 'truly skills based' without being subject specific since the NC is set out in subjects. Surely the skills are subject specific? It's how you apply them in a cross curricular fashion that takes you away from discrete subject teaching and into the creative themed approach.

18. At the moment we are not using the mindmaps to plan but we do use the a planning format based on the linear maps which are modelled in the back of the book, but yes sticking to one page per med term plan (we all have our Sundays back :) I haven't got the book here so I can reference the page numbers sorry. I will ask the staff if I can upload any onto the resources section next week .

19. Mr C I wasn't being snotty - genuinely interested in your answer.

We do use CQ and we plan in mindmap format for MTP. We have progression because we take the statements from KS1/lower/upperKS2. We then look at how to teach the skills and how the children will apply them in context in our theme.