1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ros Wilson!??? Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkfluffyprincess, Mar 18, 2008.

1. This may be a really stupid question so bare with me.

I went to look at a school this morning and one of the other girls asked the teacher about "Ros Wilson" or something like that? Am I really stupid for not knowing this?!!! Who is Ros Wilson?

I swear I've never heard of this!!!!!!!

HELP!!!

2. Do a search for "Big Writing" or VCOP. She's the author.

3. She is the person who killed creativity.

4. LOL at post 3 but so inaccurate. Of all the many people who could be blamed for the untimely death of creativity, Ros is not one of them! JT is a great example of how Ros' ideas should be implemented.

OP: Ros Wilson is an educational consultant who has revolutionalized some teachers (and some schools) whole approach to teaching writing. The acronym VCOP stands for vocab, punctuation, connectives and openers. This is a kind of toolkit that chn should call upon to improve (or uplevel) their writing. It is especially useful for self-assessment.
    Ros also suggests a regular special extended writing session called Big Writing - essentially a fast-paced key skills session (oral/whiteboard work) followed by independent writing with an 'exciting' atmosphere, created using soft music, candles and grapes.
    As with many teaching approaches and initiatives, some people rave about her, others resent the hype. Best to find out for yourself and give it a go!

5. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

mathmo interested in your comment...why?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Funny but I'm going to The Creative Curriculum conference (Ros's latest title)

7. Msz - I've been on the Creative Curriculum course and it's really inspiring, you'll have a great time.

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Grapes?!! Now you have my attention...

9. why do people get so wound up by things - cant see how Ros Wilson or her advocated approach does anything to creativity as she just focuses on the tools part, the nuts and bolts and doesnt in her Big Writing approach do anything about the creativity thats down to how each teacher/school chooses to deliver it. For OP theres lots of good advice on this thread to show you where to find out more. If school you looked at follow this approach would be particularly good idea to know more

10. I think not! She has given teachers who struggled to teach writing a framework within which to BE CREATIVE!!! Have you been on the training days? She also runs Creative Curriculum training - it's the best curriculum day I've been on - we use it throughout school and Ofsted said we had an outstanding curriculum

11. Here here Julia! I'm with you all the way!!!!! xxxxxx

12. We do assessed writing every half term throughout the school and use Ros Wilson's criteria to determine the levels. I find it really useful for assessing and setting targets.

13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Anyone who uses initials instead of words gets a thumbs down in my book. I'm fed up of all the stupid acronyms and so on that litter primary schools nowadays. It looks ridiculous. And as for Big Writing. Putting adjectives in your writing and making sure they are 'wow' words does NOT make for a good piece of writing. It's exhausting to read.

14. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Ros wilson's stuff is great, but the whole staff needs to see the training, otherwise you get a mix of staff who went, embrace it and make it successful and those who just teach 'use wow words to get better marks'. It's hard to enthuse over something you didn't see, especially if you do something that you think already works. Then you end up with children who start sentences with inappropriate adverbs, scatter Wow words like fairy dust and pay so much attention to fitting in the words off the pyramid that they forget composition and effect.
    It's good to know about, and my children were enthused by it, loved the games and responded well to the candle/ music etc for a big piece of writing. We didn't stick with it as a school, but I still use lots of the resources, and we still call it Big Write'.