1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ros Bayley almost traditional tales

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicebutdim23, Nov 24, 2010.

1. does anyone know if these are available to download anywhere? Thanku [​IMG]

2. does anyone know if these are available to download anywhere? Thanku [​IMG]

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's a funny thing with traditional tales. On the one hand I love those witty story-reversals with their three little wolves and the big, bad pig or whatever but, on the other hand, I think that EYs should leave them for later years. I think we should stick to the originals in EYs [certainly in nursery] until the tales are firmly entrenched - couldn't bring myself to say embedded.
    These stories are precious and have deep meaning for little children. We shoudn't mess with them with children who don't know them.

Here endeth the lesson - a lssson I pasionately believe in.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are lots of comic stories to tell. Dirty Bertie is a great favourite with our EY children. \but let them learn the plots of the traditional tales as they stand, before confusing them with clever alternative versions.,
    I'll add that I don't like to hear Twinkle Twinkle sung to any but the original words by any children in nursery.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There are examples from the CDs HERE
    but I don't think there is a full version unless you buy the CDs
    Inky I seem to recall the storys are pretty true to the originals with a few sound effects plus the twist is the refrains (Run run as fast as you can for example) are said in rap.
    The idea is to encourage listening skills by oral storytelling

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fair enough. I still like the children to learn the trad version first. There's so much fun to be had from reading the many variants.
    I'm just an old pedant. [​IMG]

7. yes they are true to the originals, just with lots of rhyming and rapping in and music. Mine are loving the three bears but it is the only one we have so was looking to see if i could get hold of the others without ordering cds.Downloading is quicker!

8. I think you make a really valid point though, Inky. Children can't appreciate the alternative versions if they haven't got a good grounding in the 'proper' traditional tales. My favourites have to be the Roald Dahl versions!
    The BBC have some excellent listening materials based on traditional tales available to download for free at the moment: The Magic Porridge Pot, Elves and the Shoemaker, and the Enormous Turnip. They are 15 minute long programmes and are really good.
    BBC Listen and Play http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/listenplay
    There is also a musical version of Jack and the Beanstalk for children to learn the songs and join in with singing.
    BBC Song Tree http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/songtree
    There are also some Percy the Park-keeper stories too which are great for movement and dance :
    BBC Let's Move http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03g64pk

9. inky - I'm totally with you!

I don't even like all the different versions of things. I'm not convinced at all that this is best practice.

Worse still, I don't like when fictional 'characters' narrate and appear in non-fiction books - so that the contents of the books are actually a mix of fiction and non-fiction.

Further, I think it's fine for children to re-write stories in their own words - and I don't see why we expect children to adapt or change original stories as the usual thing to do.

10. here they are
    by Ros Bayley on storyphones - also available as a CD

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
    o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
    w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
    .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

[/b]

I am a
    troll, I live in a hole

I like to
    eat goat, without its coat

With tomato
    sauce, and chips of course

Cooked till
    it’s crunchy, it makes a lovely lunchy!

[/b]

I am a goat
    with a very nice coat

But I’m
    very thin, just bone and skin

So I won’t
    be crunchy and I won’t be munchy

And I won’t
    make YOU a very nice lunchy!

But you
    could have another, you could have my brother...

[/b]

Well I am a
    goat with a very nice coat

But I’m not
    very fat, so that is that.

I won’t be
    crunchy, I won’t be munchy

I won’t make YOU a very nice lunchy!

But you
    could have another, you could have my brother…

[/b]

Yes I am a
    goat with a very nice coat

I’ve got a
    thick skin, I’m not at all thin

So you
    won’t eat me for lunch or tea.

I think
    I’ll sort YOU, just see if I do!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

How much time do the training colleges give to storytellling skills?