1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rooted in Reading scheme

Discussion in 'English' started by claireym, May 10, 2012.

1. I am wondering whether anyone has used this scheme or has any experience of it? I am lookingo for something that can be used to encourage reading for students in a post 16 environment with low literacy levels. Any feedback very welcome, thanks :)

2. I don't know if you'll think it's okay for post-16 but for our KS4 (in a special school) we use Dockside reading scheme. I think it's published by Pearson but I'm not sure - it's one of the bigger publishers anyway. It has a good look and feel to it for older struggling readers. It starts at low reading levels and progresses up. I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

3. Hi
    I teach kids with low literacy levels in both L1 (German) and EFL too. We've had a lot of success with 'genre pedagogy'. Basically, this involves finding a topic which interests them in order to set the context. They then deconstruct a simple prepared recount text (i.e. a story) and reconstruct later in their own words. The process can be repeated to gradually improve their abilities in both reading and writing.
    I use a teen soap opera film to set the context which they all enjoy and then work through a recount of the events in the film. See http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=16 The English versions of the films are also available free on line via the links on the site.
    Hope that might be of interest.
    Regards

4. Another scheme we have is Goal by Ransom publishing. We couldn't afford many at the time though: they are expensive but I'd have a look at the website: http://www.ransom.co.uk/Goal.html They have other ranges which look good too, though we haven't got any of them yet.

Barrington Stoke have different ranges of books at a high interest level, low reading age.