1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 18, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yesterday was a perfect cinema day - cold, rainy and dismal, so we bought the Minstrels and went off to see Room. We wouldn't have picked it out particularly but it was the best thing on at the local Arts Centre and it was really good. It was sentimental but not overly sloppy and there were moments when a roomful of grandmas and grandads couldn't help audibly sighing. Recommended.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Do you mean 'soppy' or was it actually of a gooey texture?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I haven't seen the film but I've read the book and thought it was good.

Lascarina likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm comfortable with the definition of sloppy as "overly gushing and emotional". I never say soppy. I know sloppy has other definitions.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Am reading the book....had it on a Kindle order for ages and didn't realise that as I moved up the Kindle food chain and onto Apple iPad etc that the book languished with many other "to read" books on a Kindle cloud somewhere (am now going through back orders and re arranging which Kindle they should be available for )
    I am working my way through the Oscar nominated films.... so Room will be one we go to see. I am avoiding The Revenant as in some ways it doesn't appeal to me. I liked Bridge of Spies and Mark Rylance really deserves that Oscar as he is excellent. However so was Christian Bale in The Big Short. I feel that everyone should go to see that film....especially any bloody Tory voters! Most recent viewing was Spotlight which was good - Michael Keaton particularly so - but then it didn't really tell me anything I wasn't aware of. Subsequently though I did look up the fact that on the end credits/info it listed the towns/cities in the world where there were subsequent cases of abuse by priests and Rochester NY appeared and yes MrREMfan's Jesuit college got a mention and yes he knew the brother named. Luckily this brother did not coach my hubby on cross country or wrestling so he had a lucky escape as he fitted the victim spec pretty well. My friend os fretting that we seem to have missed Brooklyn but I have no doubt we will spot it somewhere.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Why do you think that? It's a bit tedious. One of those Oscar films chosen by people who make films rather than those who watch them. I'm sure the book is much better

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You have to be very careful about sighing at the same time as eating a Minstrel in case it goes down the wrong way and causes a choking fit.:eek:

grumpydogwoman and lindenlea like this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We were invited to a private screening of Spotlight on Monday night, organised by a friend of my husband's, who, it turns out (I had no idea - as this is one of his cycling buddies so not someone in our mutual circle of friends) runs a charity supporting people abused in childhood.

The screening was in the basement of a central London hotel, and afterwards there was a Q&A session with my husband's chum and the Guardian's flim reviewer.

I thought the film was excellent (loved Mark Ruffalo in his part) - and was shocked as the credits rolled to read the extensive list of places where priests had been exposed. But what I really had no idea about, and which became clear during the after-film Q&A session, was the extent to which abuse of children by Roman Catholic priests continues throughout the world. Various audience members, it transpired, are involved in attempting to prevent this, and the anger evident in their comments and observations was revealing. Pete, the guy who had organised the screening, had actually recently been sacked from a papal commission attempting to make inroads into wiping out this abuse: he had proved too vocal and too great a thorn in the side of the Vatican, who are busy paying lip service to the recommendations of the commission and then using their background machinery to ensure nothing actually happens.

I came away aghast at the continued power and corruption of the Catholic Church on a world scale, feeling privileged to have spent the evening in the company of a group of people so passionate in their endeavours to stamp out this abuse once and for all, but ultimately impotent.

Here's an article from Monday's Guardian outlining the current state of affairs, which also references Pete's role in events:

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ical-papacy-scandal-sex-abuse-catholic-church

HelenREMfan and lindenlea like this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks for that link, smoothnewt.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Room is a very good film and (SPOILER ALERT) there is an extremely tense scene which effectively divides the film into two parts (it doesn't fit into the traditional three part film model.) It misses the opportunity for a similarly tense scene in parallel, watch it and one will know what I mean.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It's an interesting, if depressing, read, isn't it?
    No doubt this will run and run.

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It certainly is. I went to see the film this afternoon and thought it was excellent. I came out feeling sickened by the power the Catholic Church uses to shield the abusers. So depressing to think that abuse is still going on and still being swept under the carpet.

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's about the only BAFTA/Oscar nominated film I haven't watched yet but, as telly is so bad tonight, I'll watch 'Room'.

I had hoped 'Spotlight', 'The Big Short' and 'Trumbo' would all get more recognition but I realised they won't go down well with the American movers and shakers.

'Revenant' was acceptable as was 'Bridge Of Spies' but 'Spotlight', 'The Big Short' and 'Trumbo' in that order, are superior in my opinion.

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The sickener in those end credits after you get over the shock of the towns and cities with Catholic priests accused, was that the Cardinal from Boston who was revealed to have known fully about the extent of the abuse was "promoted" to a plum job at the Vatican. That speaks volumes for the Catholic church.

Lascarina likes this.