1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Room

Discussion in 'Book club' started by karentee, Jan 30, 2011.

1. karentee

karentee New commenter

I was browsing through the book shop and started the first couple of pages of this book, I just had to buy it and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to put it down!

2. karentee

karentee New commenter

I was browsing through the book shop and started the first couple of pages of this book, I just had to buy it and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to put it down!

3. I struggled for the first few chapters, I found some of the childish language irritating. That being said, once I 'tuned in' to it I was gripped. I presume it was inspired by the incident in Austria a few years ago.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think so, it was on a TV Book club (The Jo Brand one I can't remember which channel) last week. I've got it on my Kindle but haven't started it yet.

5. I found it hard to get to grips with the writing style at first, too, Once I had though, I didn't set the book down until it was finished ;)

6. One of the best books I've read in years. The childish language and the repetitiveness only go to underline the reality of the situation. Having said that - our book club members were split down the middle. A marmite book. Have since read Slammerkin by the same author and loved it too.

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

I only started it yesterday & I've almost finished it - I was up far too late last night but I just couldn't put it down.

8. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I loved this book too, reading it in one sitting on a quiet Saturday!

I put off reading it for ages because I don't like the new "I was abused as a child" genre that seems to have sprung up on the shelves of Asda. Also, because I've got two boys I was worried I'd get too upset. I cry really badly at books, much more than films.

But I actually found it really uplifting in a way. I only cried once, and that was when the girl meets up with her brother again. It made me think about how I'd be with my brother. Was most surprised by this book and have been recommending it to others ever since

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

It was a recommendation from a friend, saw it on the shelf in the Co-op, bought it and read it in 24 hours, very good I thought.xx

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I read it right through too, couldn't put it down. I don't think it was based on Fritzl though, having read it I think it was based on an American case where a 12 year old girl was kidnapped and kept for years in a garden shed before being found. A very good read.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I started reading it last night and finished it this afternoon, I couldn't put it down. Having read it I think it was based on an American case where a 12 year old girl was kidnapped and kept for years in a suburban garden shed.

A very good read.

12. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Been wanting to read this for a while, finally got round to it this weekend.
    Just finished reading it, not sure what to think, it wasn't what I was expecting.

13. I haven't heard of that one - it's incredible to think that there's more than one instance of this kind of thing.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I started reading Room on my Kindle and stuck it out for the first 20-30 pages (or should that be 'screens'? [​IMG]).
    Hated it and abandoned it forthwith.
    Now reading The Tent, The Bucket & Me (as recommended by Buntycat) in paperback format and absolutely loving it. [​IMG]

15. I liked the first half and found it so sad. Didn't enjoy the second half as much, but overall thought it a good read.

16. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Finished int now. How glad am I? What a lot of tosh. Meltedy Spoon indeed. I really dont' care if the left or the right was 'creamier'. Urgh. Hated it all. Manipulative twaddle.

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I downloaded the free sample of this book onto my Kindle.
    I couldn't even finish the sample. I actually felt it was very poorly written. I didn't really know what was going on, and to be honest I didn't really care.
    Maybe the book gets better after the first couple of chapters which is all you get in a sample. But I am not at all tempted to buy the complete book and finish it.

18. Read it, loved it, discussing it next week at Book Group.

19. I did love this book, but it made me think of Fowles' 'The Collector' which again has an unusual narrative ( first half of book point of view of kidnapee, second half kidnaper) and still prefer that story.. If anyone loved room I'd recommend that book as a similar subject matter but for me, even more memorable.

20. I have just finished Room, we are reading it for our book club too! It was OK but I won't be rushing to tell anyone how great it was and certainly wouldn't recommend it as a good read. I too was really annoyed with the 'proper nouns' Room, Door, Lamp etc and had to read 'the' before the word, and the attempt at a five years old's language, I felt the author had never spoken to or listened to a five year old. I appreciate Jack had excellent language/literacy and numeracy but it still sounded all so unreal. Was the final sentence 'Then we go out the door' supposed to signify that Jack and Ma had moved on?
    Not a well written book in my opinion, I predict it will be a Marmite book, as already mentioned by another poster.