1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Room Set-up

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MrsMusgrove, Aug 29, 2018.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

Just a quick query...

I am looking at photos of beautifully organised Reception classrooms filled with lots of interesting resources where continuous provision is set up on every shelf/table in all areas of the unit... They look amazing! And I have room envy.

But, do all EYFS teachers set up their rooms with so many resources for the very first day? I have done this previously but found it got trashed... I’m taking a minimalist approach this year to train the children how to use resources and how to tidy, and I’ll adapt/change/add to the provision over the weeks.

Just wondering what other people’s thoughts are on this?

Thank you

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have nowhere to store the bits I don't have out, so have fretted about this myself.

Someone on FB said about covering a fair amount with fabric, so children can only access what they can see.
    I am not the kind of person to have fabric lying around, so am going to loosely staple large sheets of paper over the front of shelves I don't want using yet and will choose jigsaws, board games and so on myself for a week or so.

AND do lots of teaching about tidying up!