1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Primary' started by titus4t, Apr 6, 2008.

1. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

There used to be a Hamilton unit on this based on Mr Shakespeare's plays that you might have a look at. I've never used it but it might give you some ideas.

2. Thanks!! finding it hard to find stuff on it thats suitable for year 6
    Thanks again I'll check it out

3. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I showed my Year 6 the video of West Side Story. Girls liked the dancing and romance, guys liked the 'cool' bits of stylised fighting. Everyone loved the Officer Krupke song!

We also had the Young Shakespeare Company in to do their interactive version of the story.

We then did a comparitive piece of writing between the two presentations of the story.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not sure how much easier a copy you've found.
    I used the old BBC versions when I taught it to Y7 in the Spring. One of the activities we did was to re-write the balcony scene in modern English.

Possible writing stimuli:
    *the invite to the ball
    *news report on the brawls (or watch the start of Luhrmann's 1996 version, and write the TV news report)
    *love letters between the two

Good sections to perform:
    *The opening scene - 'Do you bith your thumb at me, Sir..."
    *The balcony scene, obviously
    *The ball
    (could also make masks for the ball)

Reading focus:
    *I have some questions, linked to AFs, based on the events of the first act.
    *There is scope for work on stage directions, since in most versions there aren't any - children can use the text to find indications of mood, environment, etc., and then create a director's guide to the play

Of course, the best bits of it, for me at least, were
    1) Watching the luhrmann film - this is a 12, so I got parental permission beforehand
    2) Performing. I have a heavily edited version of the script which I used to create a class assembly, with a modern twist - mostly provided by the pop-rock music we included.

Let me know if you'd like me to email you the questions, and the script.

6. netmum

netmum New commenter

There is a good scheme of work in the drama section of Resources on Romeo & Juliet with lots of practical drama activities in.

7. After watching the Young Shakespeare company we (year 5) did the following:

Character work on Romeo and Juliet
    Paired work to produce a radio news report on the fight between Tybalt and Mercutio and Romeo and Mercutio. The children also reported these, in the style of newsreaders.

A newspaper report on the final events of the play.

The children produced great work and really enjoyed it.

8. Hello,
    I realise this was some time ago however do you happen to still have this?
    Thanks