1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romeo and Juliet in SLD class

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lorjellie, May 2, 2007.

1. Hi, I am a brand new NQT at a SLD and PMLD school. I have a key stage 4 and 5 class who according to the school's sow should be studying Romeo and Juliet this term... I am completely stuck as to how to do this, I trained as a secondary RE teacher and am finding it really hard to find resources and ideas generally and would appreciate any advice/help. (Pupils in the class range from P5 to NC Level 2)

2. Hi, I am a brand new NQT at a SLD and PMLD school. I have a key stage 4 and 5 class who according to the school's sow should be studying Romeo and Juliet this term... I am completely stuck as to how to do this, I trained as a secondary RE teacher and am finding it really hard to find resources and ideas generally and would appreciate any advice/help. (Pupils in the class range from P5 to NC Level 2)

3. I notice you haven't had any replies yet. Why don't you try posting your query on the drama subject noticeboard? My son attends an SLD/PMLD school and his drama teacher is great. His p levels are mostly p5/6, but he's just taken part in a production of "The Tempest". Hope this works for you. Good luck.

4. I qualified 2 and half years ago and work in a school for children with PMLD (Children working at P2 - P8). As a primary trained teacher, I also had no idea about how to teach this type of lesson. I've been fortunate enough to work with an absolutely fantastic, highly skilled and experienced teacher and we recently put on an amazing (if I do say so myself) performance of Romeo and Juliet at the theatre as part of the Shakespeare for Schools Festival. There was not a dry eye in the house!
    Anyway, we did it as role play focusing on the fight scene, masked ball, Romeo and Juliet meeting, the brawl between the Capulets and the Montagues, the wedding and the death scene. It's probably too long to go into on here but just to give you an idea - each family had a different colour (our children wore red or blue hoodies!), we explored the fight scene by having the 2 sides come together waving big pieces of their coloured fabric, then waving filter torches in their colours in a dark room.
    Let me know if you want to hear any more and I'll email you
    Hope that's been of some help - it can be done!

5. Thanks for the advice, Claire it would be great to hear some more, it sounds really interesting, my email is lorjellie@hotmail.co.uk thanks

6. Riv

Riv

lorjellie, you have mail. Hope it's in time for you.

7. winny

winny New commenter

Scholastic used to do a p'copiable series called 'Performance Plays' and they do one called Love Me Tender which is a very simplified version of R&J. I used to teach in a unit for M&SLD and we did pre 20century poetry/texts incl shakespeare. I used to do Midsummer Nights Dream and Macbeth - which the kids loved because of the ghosts, witches, blood and guts etc I used the story version and there are books available for special needs which I can dig out and let you know publishers etc. Also cartoon strip versions by Marcia Williams 'Mr Shakespreare's Plays)and Animated Shakespeare video. used to use these as a basis for literacy strategy work. Let me know if you want me to post any more ideas and I'll find old SoW. Hope that helps.

8. winny

winny New commenter

P.S forgot to say that Scholastic also do a 'Read and Respond' book of p'copiable activities based on Mr W Shakespeares Plays by Marcia Williams - aimed at KS 2 I think, but may give you some ideas to differentiate.

9. Winny, any chance of a copy of your SOW for any Shakespeare. I have taught R&J and Macbeth to KS3 in a MLD school but am finding that the pupils coming through now are working at much lower levels and finding it hard to come down to their level of understanding. Could do with some new ideas.

Thanks in advance

rainbow19@hotmail.co.uk

10. Riv

Riv

Rainbow, you have mail. Hope it helps.

11. Wow!! Thanks Riv that's great. I can see now how I need to rethink my SOW to cope with the levels coming through to me next year. I suppose I am no different in the fact that I have pupils working at p6 up to level 3 in the same class with EBD problems thrown in!!! I find the whole situation difficult when I don't always have support with me. Still your ideas have given me plenty to think about. Thanks again for your help.

12. Riv

Riv

Glad to help. Your situation, with no support and behaviour difficulties and ASD pupils as well is very familiar to me. My basic plan (which I adapt depending on the group)was written with your sort of class in mind.
    Get in touch by replying to my mail to you if you want to share / collaborate on any other ideas / expand on what I have sent to you.

13. Hi
    I know this post was written a long time ago but did you ever come up with some good ideas for teaching R&J to MLD students and PLD student?....

14. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

PM me with your e mail and I'll send you some stuff.

15. Hi! I'm also an NQT in a KS3 class of a SLD/PMLD class! I'm finding it hard to think of things for Romeo and Juillet! Especially as I have a blind pupil in my class as well!
    I'm early years trained, so we didn't cover shakespeare at all !
    Any advice welcomed greatly! I feel like I know nothing at all from my training!!!
    Thanks in advance
    :)

16. Riv

Riv

No problem. PM me your address (safer than posting it on the forum itself) and I'll send you what I have.
    You should also try the bag books book on Romeo and Juliet by Keith Parks and Nichola Grove. Keith Park worked for SENSE with pupils who are deaf and blind wnd have severe or profound learning difficulties. He does amazing work with very special pupils using the classics, especially Shakespeare. He has actually used the stage of The Globe (in February when the theater itself is dark) using the wooden stage as a resonance board and Shakespeare extracts as call and response with pupils who are switch users and have SLD, PMLD and other complex needs.
    He's so inspirational!

17. Hello! I am teaching a unit on Romeo and Juliet and I have a mixed class of SLD and PMLD. I was looking into ordering Keith Parks but it is no longer available. Any ideas??? Please help!! I am an NQT and at a loss!

18. Beb

Beb

Hi you can still get Keith parks Romeo and juliette from Book Bags uk. Excellent postal service mine came the next day, it's a photocopy but have to say it was great, my ks4 SLD/ASD group loved it and it got my own creative ideas going?

19. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Yes, have to agree it's brilliant. (but Keith's work always is and when he works with the amazing Prof. Goves it's just perfect!)

20. Riv

Riv

YOu have a PM