1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romeo and Juliet for low ability year 11s - help and advice please!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by taylorgirl, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have taken over a low ability year 11 class and am about to start teaching the Shakespeare scheme of work for a controlled assessment. A scheme of work has been produced but, realistically, not much of it will be accessible for my students.
    They are studying Romeo and Juliet with the question "Explore how Shakespeare presents the characters of Romeo and Mercutio in Act 2 scene 4 and elsewhere in the play, as well as in a performed version".
    I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this task with them, especially as due to them having college courses for two days a week, I only see them 5 times a fortnight, meaning I have to complete the scheme in 10 lessons before then doing the assessment!!!
    Any advice would be welcomed!
    Thank you

2. I have taken over a low ability year 11 class and am about to start teaching the Shakespeare scheme of work for a controlled assessment. A scheme of work has been produced but, realistically, not much of it will be accessible for my students.
    They are studying Romeo and Juliet with the question "Explore how Shakespeare presents the characters of Romeo and Mercutio in Act 2 scene 4 and elsewhere in the play, as well as in a performed version".
    I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this task with them, especially as due to them having college courses for two days a week, I only see them 5 times a fortnight, meaning I have to complete the scheme in 10 lessons before then doing the assessment!!!
    Any advice would be welcomed!
    Thank you

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You'll get more answers on the English forum.
    That's nowhere near enough time. The question is pretty broad, too. I'd go for III.i for 'elsewhere', but it's a long scene with many complexities.
    Only use one performed version (the Luhrman and Zeferelli versions present both characters very differently) or you'll confuse the kids - and use that before looking at the text.
    You don't have time to look at the whole play, so just concentrate on those two scenes.

4. Thank you for your help. That is what I was thinking. Basic plot line and key scene with possible picking out of quotes from another.

Yes I agree, not enough time. Will see what I can do!

5. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

This may take some planning and prep but if done right could be effective as a kind of intro:
    Write 10-15 questions eg. What is the relationship between Mercutio and Romeo? Who is Benvolio? Who is Mercutio? What type of person is Mercutio? etc I'm sure you can come up with more
    Then have about 20-30 information cards (depending on how big your groups will be when you split them later) with snippets of information on, but not direct answers to the questions eg.
    . Romeo is a member of a powerful family called the Montegues.
    Romeo has been swooning over a girl called Rosaline until he meets Juliet at a party he was invited to by Mercutio.
    Mercutio is not a Montague or a Capulet. He often winds Romeo up about being young and fancying girls
    Split them into groups (they'll need a set of questions and info cards per group), hand out the questions and get them to deal the info cards face down like a pack of cards. The groups then have to work together to answer the questions BUT they are not allowed to show their info cards to each other. They have to talk to each other to deduce the information and get the correct answers.
    I hope this is kind of making sense, I was at a Paul Ginnis workshop today and he was explaining it much better than me! Good luck!

6. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

I forgot to add, you don't even have to tell them anything about the play, in fact it might be more effective not to.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter