1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romeo & Juliet - AQA, Unit 4, A level

Discussion in 'English' started by debsharrison, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Good morning,
    I'd be incredibly grateful for any advice you could all offer.
    I am an NQT and am designing a unit of work on Romeo and Juliet for A2 level, using the AQA Unit 4 guidance. I am using the the over-aching theme of love, and although I would like students to choose which sub-theme should guide them, I am suggesting 'The Consequences of Love'.
    If anyone could offer any advice re: activties; resources; particular sections of the play to focus on; academic issues; texts for comparison etc that would be wonderful.
    Thank you!

2. I'm assuming 'over-aching' was a freudian slip? But a very revealing one...
    I'm sorry, I'm not being very helpful. Is this Spec A or B?

3. sorry to be a party pooper but my experience of teaching shakespeare at A2 is that this isn't a very good choice of text as it doesn't really stretch students enough and it puts students who want to do english at university(and those who want to study at the more traditional universities at a disadvantage when they are interviewed and asked what they've been studying.
    feedback we've received from english depts in universities says that they generally prefer students to have studied shakespeare's deeper and darker plays ...

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I recently looked at RnJ as part of an OU course, and found it very challenging.