1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rome

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Jan 10, 2011.

1. We're going to Roma at the end of this month. Anyone been recently, and do you have any recommendations for places to go (apart from the classics)?

We're not taking the baby, so we can go anywhere. Nightlife recommendations, anyone?

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It's fabulous but I'm not into the nightlife and I think my recommendations would be considered boring, as my favourite evening was restaurant, wander and then the best icecream in Rome :)

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Go to the top of the Spanish Steps and turn left. Go past the Medici Villa and you will be on the Pincian Hill. It has some lovely gardens and a great (one of the best) view over Rome! You can also rent a covered bike (more like a golf cart) and enjoy a little ride around. I loved it up there!
    The Vittorio Emmanuele Monument is worth a visit. I am not an arty person BUT you can get up onto the roof and have more stunning views of Rome (in particular the Coloseum).
    Go up inside the dome of St Peter's...(though that is touristy).
    Visit the Jewish Ghetto/Quarter. Some interesting buildings/shops.

4. This is great, thanks. Thanks so much - I went to Rome after I left art college in the late nineties but we were interrailing and had zero money. My main memory of Rome is of staying awake all night as we had no money for somewhere to stay... and going to the Colosseum next morning. And all the cats. :)

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Sorry to take so long in replying, I had to go and check last years diary and there were so many distractions ;)
    Anyway, the best (in our opinion) was Giolitti (near the chamber of deputies), we preferred it to crispino (although that was pretty good too). It was very hard to make a decision and we had to test our findings everyday to make sure ;)

Don't worry about buying an Italian phrase book, there are loads on-line and the BBC run a good Italian language course:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/
    I hope you have a lovely time :)

6. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking up last year's diary. Have jotted those names down in my diary. Grazi!