1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romans - please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosh89, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Hi
    I am a student teacher and was wondering if somebody could please help me.
    In January I will be teaching the Romans topic to year 4 children. I will be teaching the first two lessons of the topic and I will have two full afternoons for the history lessons. I really want to make my lessons fun and interesting but I am unsure on what exactly to cover in each lesson.
    In the first lesson I was thinking of starting off by asking the children what they know about Romans and Celts and producing a mind map on the board of all their information (if any).
    In pairs the chn will look at dictionaries and find out the meanings of invaders and settlers. They will write on a post it note what they think these words mean in their own words. I will have two columns on IWB and children will come up and stick on their sticky note. I will read out some of their ideas and we will have a brief discussion and I was thinking of getting the chn on the back three tables to invade the front three tables by sitting on the tables and refusing to move.
    The chn will then read two pages in a history book which gives information on the roman empire (where the Romans came from and where they invaded) and how the Romans came to Britain (and also why - lead, tin and silver).
    The children will then watch a video about the Romans (it gives information on how and when the different emperors invaded and why the Romans wanted to invade Britain). When the chn are watching the video I will tell them to make notes on why the Romans wanted to invade Britain, what the celts were like and why the Romans were able to defeat the Britons.
    In pairs the chn will then produce a poster titled The Roman Invasion (children can come up with their own title). We will brainstorm on the IWB the different types of thing they can include. I will include some key questions for them to think about e.g. why did the Romans want to invade Britain, were did the Romans come from and how did the Romans come to Britain). I will have information books out for the chn to help them with their work and maps for them to colour in (if they want to use them).
    Would all this be ok for the first lesson? Can anybody suggest any improvements?
    For the second lesson I am thinking of exploring Boudicca's rebellion, do you think this is a good thing to go onto in the second lesson?

Hope somebody can help! Thank you in advance.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Will they stay there all afternoon?

3. that made me giggle. Sorry, I forgot to mention that it will only be a very brief invasion.

4. My first thought is that this is a LOT to cover in one lesson!
    I like the idea of asking the children what they know about the Romans. Why not follow this by asking them what kind of things they want to find out?
    I always begin history topics by looking at a timeline. I think it is important to give the children a sense of when the events took place.
    This is a brilliant site with a great interactive timeline http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/romans/

5. Thank you for all the advice everyone.

The reason why I have put so much in to one lesson is because I will be spending the full afternoon on history (2 hours). Do you all still think that everything I have planned will be too much for a 2 hour lesson?

I like the idea about the timeline, we have one in the classroom so I'm going to show that to the children after I've asked them what they know about the Romans and Celts and also the interactive bbc timeline. I was also thinking of making one like a washing line and then I'll put on the washing line the key things and dates that they have learned about e.g. when Caesar invaded Britain and Boudicca's revolt.

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

8. Yes, I think you will need to give the children plenty of time to discuss their ideas and concepts of the Romans. If you whizz through this then you won't get the best work from them, it takes a while for the ideas to start flowing. It is a good time for paired talk and ideas. Why don't you include getting the children to construct a question they would like to ask a Roman if they could. This gives good evidence for you to base planning from and also another way of discovering their understanding of Roman times. It could also lead to an 'Ask a Roman' session where you could dress up and answer some of their questions.
    Don't forget that you need time for the children to understand exactly where you are starting from, it is the most important lesson of the block so take time. Listen to their conversations, dispell misconceptions, highlight good thinking and questions and the time will have flown past so quickly and it is the end of the day!
    Also think about contacting your county museum service about their services. See what is relevant to your area. I taught the Viking unit last year and we discovered that within 3 miles of the school there had been a pot containing a horde of silver coins, quality pottery and a couple of small settlements. Made the learning far more relevant to the class since it was local to them. If we don't use these services to support the learning in the classroom we will lose these fabulous resources.

9. At a staff INSET we had some training and discussion about this particular topic.
    A great idea that was suggested was linking up with another class secretly, and getting them to invade your playtime and take over the playground, using your equipment, moving you off the football pitch...thus teaching the idea very simply of invasion. Certainly sounds fun and will get the kids involved. In my phase we like to begin topics in this way to get the children "hooked" onto the topic...!
    Hope this helps.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Duly posted in resources under Topic Romans.(I understand they'll be available after 60 mins.)
    Will try to look for the ludo game too!