1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romania

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by moscowbore, Nov 4, 2018.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Hi All,
    Looking for some up to date info on living and teaching in Romania.
    I have recently accepted a job in Cluj.

I am interested in any info. Impressions of Cluj/Romania, good /bad points, public transport, best place to get a coffee, anything really.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers.

yasf and JL48 like this.
  2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I've a few friends who've worked in Bucharest, but know nothing about Cluj. Looks great though, and Romania is a great country. Enjoy :)

3. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Cluj is lovely. Feel free to pm for more information.

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Morning,

Romania is beautiful, and Cluj is really cool, and I'm a bit jealous! I love living in Bucharest, but would seriously consider Cluj for the future. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, but in brief:
    Cluj: pretty little city with lots going on during the university term. AA bit quiet outside of these times. It has good craft beers, often international sport (handball, football, rugby) and loads of cultural activities like poetry slams, theatre etc.
    Romania: should be visited more, the mountains are incredible, people are friendly (though abrupt), cost of living is low and beer, coffee and food variety are good. History is fascinating.
    Bad points: winters are cold, summers can be wet and/or very hot, spring and autumn tend to be lovely, though. Romanian society is pretty corrupt, which won't affect you, but is dispiriting to read about and see the effects of.
    Public transport: in cities it tends to be very good, and very cheap. Cluj has city buses and trolleybuses, which cost about 20cents a journey. That includes to and from the airport. Internal flights are cheap and plentiful, as are flights to western Europe, especially from Bucharest. Intercity travel is poor though. Trains are cheap, but old and incredibly slow, and roads are appalling so bus journeys also take forever. Lots of people use maxi-taxis, which are private minibuses running popular routes. These have just been banned around Bucharest though (yet to see if that actually happens though), not sure about the rest of the country, though.
    Coffee: there's a billion places for coffee in CLuj, it has a real cafe culture. For a fancy expresso try Narcoffee on the main street down from the main square, but there are also some great places elsewhere, like Sisters, cafe Papillon and (for tea) Drumul Ceaiului.

That's not very brief, is it? Sorry!

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Hi lottee1000, tigi,
    I have started conversations with both of you. Many thanks for your time.

Cheers.

6. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

*raises eyebrow*

Helen-Back likes this.
  7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

It's real! Although only legal addictive substances on offer...

blue451 likes this.
  8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

I have just moved to Bucharest and I love it here. Went to cluj on holiday three years ago and it was beautiful. Bucharest is not the prettiest city in the world but it has something for everyone. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Romania.

9. DonaldSanger

DonaldSanger New commenter

Is the working visa age limit of 55 strictly enforced? I am 56!

10. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Not at all! Lots of people have retirement jobs in the EU.

11. DonaldSanger

DonaldSanger New commenter

Thanks, tigi. I feel I'm a teenager again!