1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romania - Salary, cost of living, advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JUSTIN12345, Apr 16, 2019.

1. onders

onders New commenter

Dear friends, would you give me more informations about the life and expected salary in Bucharest, especially for international schools?

Regards.

Icannot send PM, please you do.

Regards.

2. bedby9

bedby9 New commenter

It varies quite a bit. The best 2 are just outside the city. Life is pretty good (in normal times). It is exceptionally cheap in comparison to the UK which. We live on 900 Euros a month, after rent / bills, and this includes eating out 2-3 times a week and drinks often, but not as often as I'd like ;).

You won't regret coming here.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When this smelly old hippo was teaching in Bucharest, he was paid 2000 euros a month (after tax) and the school also paid the rent on our quite nice apartment near Parcul Herestrau. The bad news was that we had to pick up the tab for maintenance, sewers, garbage collection and Uncle Tom Cobbley and All.

4. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

The wage is pretty much the same 20 years later, Hippo. Sad state

5. bedby9

bedby9 New commenter

The wage may be the same, but the cost of living is also (maybe increased a very small amount). The 2000 Euros would then be with an additional amount for accommodation. We save a lot each month without having to scrimp.

6. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Hi Bedby

Saving a salary and a housing isn’t bad going AT ALL (which is what I assume you do) as a small family can live on one salary fairly comfortably.

Apart from our mate over in Angola earning like Floyd Mayweather, I’d say 25-30k a year is great!

bedby9 and TeacherMan19 like this.