1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romania - Salary, cost of living, advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JUSTIN12345, Apr 16, 2019.

1. JUSTIN12345

JUSTIN12345 New commenter

Hello

I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me about International school salary expectations in Bucharest, what is an acceptable euro amount to expect per month? Cost of accommodation? Any other useful information regarding living in and moving to Bucharest will be much appreciated. Thx.

2. RUS1

RUS1 New commenter

I would say about 2500 Euros for 5+ years experience, plus free accommodation (worth approx. 600 Euros a month for a new one bed apartment), flights, private medical and shipping. Some schools will pay more, many here will try to pay less.

Not a lot of good schools in Bucharest though. Many of the schools have similar behavior to what you will find in state schools in the UK. Most of the schools are predominantly populated by local families as there are not an awful lot of multinationals sending people over here to work. Bucharest has lots of good restaurants and bars if that is your thing. Shopping malls are good. Access to green spaces is limited compared to most European capitals. The wild dogs on the streets are not as bad as some people say they are.

3. JUSTIN12345

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I don't know of many schools (only 1 actually) that pays this much. Most are around 2000 euros, with a housing allowance and the other benefits mentioned on top. This is a pretty good amount though, and allows for savings, travel and a good standard of living.
    Most do not provide housing but provide an allowance, as there is a huge variety of accomodation available and people prefer to choose their own.

I'd also disagree about behaviour. It's not amazing in many schools, especially those with higher numbers of host nationals, but it is in no way anywhere near as bad as the state schools I worked in back in the UK.

I do agree about the city though, good restaurants and bars, I don't care about malls so couldn't say, and parks are good but not easy to access everywhere.

5. JUSTIN12345

Thanks for the insight.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was a few years ago now that the pachyderm and his lady wife were in Bucharest. On the whole, I would agree with lottee100. Salaries are not great, but on the other hand Romania is quite a bit cheaper than the UK in many respects.

Parcul Herastrau was just round the corner from our apartment. It was great. My old school has moved from its old premises near the Satul Francez. I enjoyed working there and I found that the students' behaviour was pretty good.

7. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Romania is cheaper than the UK, but not as cheap as you'd think. You are very unlikely to be able to afford a nice apartment near parcul Herastrau unless you are lucky. It's a very fun city though. The only two downsides I can really mention are the terrible traffic which is not helped by the lack of public transport/poor planning for public transport and the increasing pollution levels.

That said I've enjoyed it very much and most people I know who come do like it. Some people come and stay for a long time, others don't. The travel opportunities are really good from Bucharest and Romania itself is beautiful. It does help your experience if you are prepared to learn some language, while most young people do speak English it just makes life easier if you can communicate a bit. Remember it's a post communist state, the regime here was harsher and more oppressive than (arguably) any other and the country is still affected by that. If you approach Romania in an open minded way you can have a really good experience. If you expect "Prague on a budget" like one of my current colleagues did you may be disappointed.

8. bedby9

bedby9 New commenter

I am joining a school in the North of Bucharest in August. When is the best time to start looking for accommodation? The school have been very helpful and given some links. I've heard that leaving it 2 weeks before is probably best? Is that right? Also, what areas are the best please?

Thanks in advance.

9. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I feel that the north of Bucharest has the best options for accommodation. The accommodation on offer is of a better quality & not unreasonably priced. My advice is to live as close to your school as possible. I know that Pipera in particular is meant to be heavily congested. Like Hippo always mentions, if you can walk to school it will do much for your wallet & wellbeing.

10. tigi

Yes you can definitely leave it that late! It's easy to sort here. I will pm you.

11. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Two weeks is more than enough time.

I started in Bucharest in January. I was a bit concerned because I was arriving in the period between NY and Orthodox Christmas and some agents had told me they would be closed until after that. But one of the contacts the school gave me was fab - I arrived on a Wednesday afternoon, she took me to see 8 flats on the Thurs, the 7th of which was perfect, we signed on Friday and I moved in the following morning. She even got her colleague to help me take a couple of suitcases from the hotel I was in to the flat.

Feel free to PM me for any info.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  12. gerry29

gerry29 New commenter

I am also starting at a school in this area in August and wondering when to start looking for accomodation. Thank you for the info. If you have any other useful info or want to PM me to make a contact before we start I'd be more than happy.

13. tigi

I sent you a pm.

gerry29 likes this.
  14. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

One thing you might want to consider when looking for somewhere to live is whether or not the flat has its own water heater. Many buildings receive their hot water from a centre which heats water and then pipes it accross the city and it's been a bit unrealiable recently. That means that often there's been either no hot water at all or water which is just not heated. I've had a few more cold showers that I'd have liked this past week. Judging from comments read/overheard this is not really unusual so maybe I had just been lucky up to now. Had I known, a water heater might have been near the top of my priority list.

15. tigi

Good point, it can also be uncomfortably warm if you can't control your own heating.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When this old hippo was teaching in Bucharest, most of my female colleagues were of the opinion that there was a major advantage to living and working in this city: Romanian men! They seemed to think that the Romanian hunks were definitely more attractive than the typical British male. Ho hum.

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

More attractive than a British male? I highly doubt that.

[​IMG]

18. onders

onders New commenter

Would you be interested in giving me some advice for Bucharest schools? Please PM me.

19. Interista

Interista New commenter

I remember nearly a week without hot water because of some dispute with the water company, whole areas were cut off. Wouldn't have been a problem in the summer, but in the winter...

20. Interista

Interista New commenter

I was there a few years ago.
    Salary was 2200 after tax, paid in euros. After a while they had to change to pay in Lei/Ron which meant you never quite got the right amount but it was close enough and they reviewed the exchange rate every 6 months. The school provided private health care for us which was really good, I had to use it a couple of times and they were great, though they forgot to tell me an mri wasn't included before having the mri and I didn't ask. Luckily school contributed to the cost. They helped find a flat but in August landlords and agents were away so there were slim pickings. We got a large 2 bed apartment on the 7th floor near Piata Alba Iulia for 700 a month, friends told us it was expensive for the area but we were happy with it.
    Happy to answer any other questions you might have though it was about 4 years ago I was there.