1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Romance between colleagues - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Sunnyday50, Aug 24, 2019.

1. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Very true!

jlishman2158 and mcmj like this.
  2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I personally see nothing wrong, but the gossip mongers in the school desperately need fodder. o_O Hopefully some more interesting gossip will arise in the school.;)

3. TeachingBabylon

TeachingBabylon New commenter

Frankly, it sounds like a few members of staff need to mind their own business and get on with what they are paid to do. Schools are bloody odd places to work at times, totally detached from the real world - makes me wonder how some people can operate in a role that essentially prepares kids for the 21st century when they are so far-removed from it themselves.

4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

So there are couple amongst the staff. Not a problem when other people have a relationship with a colleague.

Does the school provide a list of every person that has ever attended the school? No?
    A school cannot have such a policy.
    The problem is the poisonous phrase "former student"
    Former student = i.e. not a student any more.

People who use this phrase cannot let go. It fails to accept that students 'grow up'. And that, is precicely what colleagues who use the phrase 'former students' need to do.

I beg to differ, it isn't blurred. If a person is mature enought o work at the school then they are mature enough not to be conflated with current students.

Yes, you should identify this person to your cousin. Your cousin is entitled to know who this person is and what they are saying.

Only in the minds of those too dull to realise that their minds are being poisoned by a perfidious usage of English.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  5. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

I can't see anything wrong in the relationship, but possibly some concerns regarding his or her social media, seems like a little too much information might be available.

It is perhaps a good time to advise your cousin & girlfriend to check their privacy settings, who they list as friends and what they post - they do not want to provide ammunition for the gossips.

The potential for linking indirectly to current students via social media does need to be handled with considerable care and is not ideal. Keeping the accounts very professional is the best option.

catbefriender and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Leave it to SLT to speak to them both if they have concerns. If they haven't then it means there is no concern. But agree he needs to be careful about what he posts online.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Serious question. How does anyone in teaching have the time and energy for a relationship, let alone one at work? Asking for a friend.

8. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

WHy do schools need TAs? I never had a TA in class in a UK school when I was teaching. I don't even know some of my cousins and not worried about them as it is not a close family connection once you are grown up.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Are you for real ?

10. krakowiak6

Yep. I suspect the staff at the school feel uncomfortable having to have a TA in their classes who they used to teach 2 years before.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They need to get over themselves then.

12. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Reading some of the comments on here and thinking that most of them are OTT-
    The OP Cousin was not employed by the school when his partner attended as a student- as a HT myself and in the eyes of the school, it is none of anyone else’s business- and this is post is spiralling out of context- I agree, that the HT should be notified of a relationship forming between certain colleagues, but as long as one or the other isn’t the other’s Direct line Manager and they both understand the professional conduct, then there is no issue.

13. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

All families are different I guess. My family are very close but some families aren’t. Neither is wrong but the op is clearly close to their cousin which is lovely. Can I turn your question on its head please? Why would schools not need TA’s? I can’t think of a reason why so perhaps you can enlighten me.

14. krakowiak6

I am the same as you then. I can only think why do schools need TAs? But to answer your question I think it is because a teacher likes to be on his or her own in class for one and a teacher can look after a class of 20 pupils him or herself. Do TAs improve the performance of classes might be a better question then and if so that will answer the original question.

15. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

I don’t understand how you could have come to the assumption that we are the same. I can most emphatically assure you that we are not. The question by the way was why would SCHOOLS not need TA’s not why would a TEACHER not WANT a TA in their classroom. But just as an aside I have not met any of these teachers you seem to know that want to be on their own in the classroom.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Indeed they can...
    However 'teaching' a class of 36 is not the same as 'looking after' a class of 20!

Good TAs improve the performance of classes for sure, as do good teachers.
    Me neither.
    But from the OP's other posts, they don't teach in the UK. Maybe it's different in China and the Middle East?

Caramel2308 likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, be fair! Some teachers haven't a clue how to deploy TAs effectively. It takes a bit of skill, you know.

I wouldn't put a good TA with just any old teacher. Waste of time and talent.

Maybe @krakowiak6 doesnt possess the requisite gifts? Who knows? Just one theory. It's not given to everyone to do a good job with a TA.

Caramel2308 likes this.