1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roly poly baby.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by glitterkid, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all, hoping for soem words of wisdom!

LO is sixth months old and has been rolling with gusto for the past couple of weeks. I'm finding now he needs to be under my beady eye now as he obviously cannot be trusted to just lie in one place anymore.

He has a big playmat that's about the size of hearth rug so can usually roll about on that, but he gets a bit upset when he rolls off, and I find I can;t leave him for fear of him rolling away and hurting himself.
    So...do I buy a travel cot / playpen / baby prison, or buy a babywalker to plonk him in (he wouldn;t be able to go anywhere in it)? He has a door bouncer which he likes but obviosly I can;t have him bouncing away all day. Think he'd like a jumperoo but they're too expensive for me.

2. Hi all, hoping for soem words of wisdom!

LO is sixth months old and has been rolling with gusto for the past couple of weeks. I'm finding now he needs to be under my beady eye now as he obviously cannot be trusted to just lie in one place anymore.

He has a big playmat that's about the size of hearth rug so can usually roll about on that, but he gets a bit upset when he rolls off, and I find I can;t leave him for fear of him rolling away and hurting himself.
    So...do I buy a travel cot / playpen / baby prison, or buy a babywalker to plonk him in (he wouldn;t be able to go anywhere in it)? He has a door bouncer which he likes but obviosly I can;t have him bouncing away all day. Think he'd like a jumperoo but they're too expensive for me.

3. Get a pen - greatest invention ever - LO can watch you and you can do stuff

4. A travel cot or playpen is a good idea, but I would recommend softening it with cushions and not to leave your little one for long period of times.If you really need to get on with chores ,then a sling is a good idea or a bouncy chair.
    Otherwise enjoy this stage as he will soon be crawling and climbing and generally more busy.

5. Thanks for your reply. Sadly my baby is massive (23 lbs) and a sling is a bit awkward. Had been using the bouncy chair but at 6 months he is able to twist out of it which is why i need another option.

Might get a travel cot, he'll on ly be in it while i nip upstairs or do the dishes, otherwise it's roly poly on the floor time [​IMG]

6. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

We had one of those rubber rings which LO would sit or lie back in until he worked out how to climb out (about 7 and a half months) so you might get about a month's use out of it. I have only just packed it away at one year because I used it to store toys and LO would climb in and out to get them, very good for developing flexibility and if you had another baby you could obviously start using it earlier. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galt-6850004-Farm-Playnest/dp/B000296KW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296482869&sr=8-1-spell
    We got a playpen at about 9 months as LO was crawling everywhere, but I never put him in it unless I need the loo or need to stay in the kitchen to prepare food. Definitely a lifesaver for active boys and would definitely recommend it rather than a travel cot which is more confined. A playpen also encourages standing.

7. If you're still thinking of the jumperoo, ours only cost £36 from ebay. We sold it when LO was 11 months and got £43 back for it!!! Best invention every for babies 6 monthsish

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We had a playpen for our son http://www.babydanplaypen.co.uk/ and then when he was 9 months old and walking round the furniture we opened it up and used it (and still do) as a huge fence to protect the TV and fish tanks.
    We got a jumperoo when he was 5 months, it was about £65 from Amazon, and I agree with Biodust, it's the best invention ever for babies! I've lent it to one of my friends now for her baby, but we'll get it back for our 2nd and then sell it after that.