1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roller coaster(s) what I have liked much

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Feb 17, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Name the theme park(s), name the roller coaster(s).

With both arms in the air of course.

2. magic surf bus

Name the theme park(s), name the roller coaster(s).

With both arms in the air of course.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Only ever been on one once.
    (Typed with my teeth)

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Air and Oblivion at Alton Towers. Nemesis is too rattly now. Join the 'singles' queue and then you get loads of goes to everyone else's! And definitely hands up all the way!

5. I went to Alton Towers and went on rollercoasters for the FIRST TIME last year (Id been before, just never went on anything fast, scary, upside down, etc etc...)
    Started with Air, which I loved but it did make me feel nautious when lieing upside down going backwards.
    I absolutely LOVED Thirteen. There is what seems like a huge drop at the beginning which my OH and I found funny afterwards as we'd been sitting there with just a lap-bar saying "Ah it cant be that bad if all we get is this lap bar.." I like the unexpectedness of it all, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I also love love loved Nemesis. I know its old, but it was just pure joy all the way round. Not terrifying, just very enjoyable.
    I hated Rita, and was told I did a "death rattle". I actually found the launch physically painful and couldn't breathe most of the way around.
    I didnt do Oblivion - the thought of that drop just doesnt inspire me.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I miss the old Thunderlooper at Alton Towers.
    Air is fun but not proper scary.
    I didn't get to appreciate Rita. The 26 second ride just paled into insignificance compared with queuing for over 2 hours [​IMG]

7. Tower of Terror - Disneyland Paris (not strictly a rollercoaster I suppose)

8. LOVE Tower of Terror - love that when the doors open at the top you can see the whole of Disney
    Also love Air and 13
    I don't like any in the dark (old black hole/space mountain). I like to be able to see where I'm going to go!

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

The wooden roller coaster at Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach - you can't beat it for sheer terror...it does tend to bend and wobble a bit!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I literally cry on rollercoasters - even quite un-threatening ones. I don't even like the spinning tea cups.
    I reckon I save lives by not getting on them - they'd be sure to break down if I ride them.

11. Spent various mis-spent teenage afternoons on the really cruddy rollercoaster (term used loosely) at Metroland - it really really was dire.
    School trips most years involved Lightwater Valley - where the ongoing maths department "which member of staff could hack the most goes on the Soopa Loopa (or however it's spelt) challenge" was an ongoing source of amusement (and data-handling practice) to the rest of the school - I think the record was about 23 by the time I left.
    Never really got into Alton Towers - just seems like a constant queue whenever I've gone there.

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I haven't tried Air, Nemesis or 13 yet. I have enjoyed Oblivion and Rita queen of speed (All alton towers).

13. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Love roller coasters. America have some great ones. I have done all the Alton Towers ones - arms in the air. Hulk is good in Florida. Tower of Terror is really boring. My family love it but it's so tame. Sheikra at Busch is good and so is Manta. Would love to do the Six Flags park over in America. I hate woooden coasters as they rattle your bones!!
    Hurricane Condor in Spain has a great vertical drop. have a great photo with my arms raised in the air at the top and a grown man weeping next to me.[​IMG]

14. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Last one we went on was the one at legoland and I left most of my vital organs at the top of the coaster and they joined me about 30 seconds later at the bottom. Think Tom and Jerry cartoon.
    I did like this ride(pic below) but you get absolutely bloody soaked to death. It called the viking river splash at legoland and as you go round people fire water cannons at you to add to your already wet and miserable state. (note: wear a raincoat and showcap to go on it)

[​IMG]

Also went on the log flume at Littlehampton in the summer and came off looking like a drowned rat, plus my daughter headbuttted in in the back of the head as we hit the bottom. It hurt.
    Also remember the corkscrew at Alton towers hurting as when you turned upside down at the top, you feel out of your seat a bit and hit your shoulders on the bar...ouch!
    I also went on a big wheel that went sidewards and it broke down while our chair was directly over the water in the harbour in Scarborough.....think I'll stick to fishing the yellow duck stall in future.

15. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I should have mentioned that I don't do water rides unless at a water park. I hate getting wet...what a wuss!!!

16. magic surf bus

I love roller coasters, hence the thread.

I still think Nemesis is the daddy at Alton Towers, especially the front row. Oblivion's a bit too quick for me, and last time I went on it my hat blew off in the tunnel. If you're in the Midland area for a while don't rule out Drayton Manor Park - there's some good rides there.

Further afield, Gardaland in Italy is well worth a trip, with Blu Tornado (think Nemesis but in pairs) being a cracking ride. Imagine going on a coaster full of Italians. There's a mental water park nearby called Aqua Paradise - an absolute hoot.

SIlver Star at Europa Park in Germany's worth a go too.

In Florida our favourite park was Universal Islands of Adventure, with Incredible Hulk and Duelling Dragons being especially impressive.

And if you're being mithered by your kids to go to Disney in Florida, in my humble opinion the Paris resort is better, and isn't full of loud bloated Americans.

17. The Caterpiller at Stourport scares the beejezus out of me.

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I get verdigris - well I turn green that is

19. Do you think the jockeys may be a tad too small?

20. This is my favourite too. I first went on it in Florida, before the drop you sort of meander forward in the carriage ready to drop. In France that doesn't happen and I got the shock of my life when it just dropped at the top! Am going there on Monday - yay! [​IMG]