1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rolled around on my blubber reading this - fat shaming the teacher ....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Sep 7, 2017.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Well......it's the fail!

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

If I had kids I wouldn't want them being taught be anyone who wrote for the Daily Mail.

bevdex, stonerose, Compassman and 3 others like this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Would the mother refuse to let a fat nurse or doctor treat her daughter?

stonerose, needabreak and peggylu like this.
  5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Dear DM (cough) 'journalist'...
    IMG_1464.JPG

stonerose, drek, Moony and 1 other person like this.
  6. thyr

thyr New commenter

Sounds like Kate Hopkins' apprentice.

stonerose, Mrsmumbles and peggylu like this.
  7. drek

drek Lead commenter

Yet we teachers work for schools where our contracts and policies were reworeed by a journalist turned MP from there.

stonerose and peggylu like this.
  8. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

It's still distressing isn't it. :(

stonerose, drek and install like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Lets hope that teachers do not take the same line when meeting the rest of society :p:p:p:p

stonerose likes this.
  10. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

? I don't know... the headline was clearly inflammatory but she didn't actually refuse to let her daughter be taught by a fat teacher, she just chose to put her in a nursery where the teachers could move around a bit quicker because they weren't obese. At 2 years old she wanted her daughter to be surrounded by people that modelled healthy choices.

In terms of someone caring for your child surely you would want someone who could keep up?

"She was only in her 20s, but she was already obese — morbidly so. She moved slowly and breathlessly, her face flushed.
    Would she, I wondered, have the lightning reflexes needed to save an adventurous toddler from imminent danger?"

Most of the rest of the article seems fairly sensible.... I do know people whose health conditions cause obesity and have nothing but the upmost sympathy for their struggles, but the figures suggest that the majority of people in the UK are overweight (In England, 24.8% of adults are obese and 61.7% are either overweight or obese) http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweig...causes-of-the-obesity-epidemic-in-the-UK.aspx

I very much doubt it is because they all have complex medical issues. IF there is an option to model a healthy lifestyle over an unhealthy one to young children, surely we are obliged to take it?

If you think i am wrong feel free to say so - I might have missed some nuance in the article, but please don't beat me up if i have got it wrong.

Pomz likes this.
  11. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

The comments section of the Daily Heil as usual is full of oddballs and fruitcakes, some are even promoting pseudo-scientifc diets :rolleyes:.

You stole that from the article's comments:
    _20170910_035145.JPG

12. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble New commenter

Whilst this woman holds very extreme views and I do not condone her one bit, the point about ' normalizing obesity ' is an interesting one. Some friends and I were debating it the other day, and between us we generally agreed that like it or not it seems to be the case that it doesn't seem to be taken as seriously as perhaps it should !

13. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

I can't understand why the writer decided to dress up as Kate Bush in the video for Wuthering Heights.

stonerose likes this.
  14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

If in doubt - ask the child, do not assume that everyone thinks the same way about obesity. The mother may find to her dismay that children prefer a happy plump lady as being more approachable and wanting to sit on her knee for a cuddle rather than a thin mum that is too busy to spend quality time just enjoying the company. The same may apply even more to matronly grandmothers as depicted by Charles Dickens and other authors.

stonerose likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

16. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

I am a teacher and I am fat. And yet, it's amazing how - over more than 25 years of teaching - the children I taught ended up neither fatter nor thinner than the children in other classes.
    I know we have influence - but there are limits! :rolleyes:

I was once taught by a fantastic teacher, who stunk of pipe smoke and had a yellow-stained beard, but strangely, I never took up pipe smoking myself. ;)

17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That did make me laugh, thinking back most of my teachers smoked, their breath was pungent after a break as it mixed with coffee and possible halitosis... we were so busy sniggering at the poor unfortunates that had them explain over their shoulder that we lost the thread of the lesson half the time. Had I realised we should have complained and asked them to brush their teeth or gargle before lessons... or at least do us all a favour and have a mint tea. *Tongue firmly in cheek... again!

Sorry I digress. One of the NABs had an amazing nursery teacher/carer whatever they were called, she was the organisations co-ordinator and a trained clinical psychologist she was rather overweight... very much so in fact but could jump up off the floor quick time to attend to any children in danger or who had become upset, I was frankly most impressed, that woman could move. Not everyone needs a hoist if they are overweight.

I dunno next we will be banning ugly people because they cause offence. I wonder how the parent would feel about someone with a disability working in the nursery, I guess they would not expect them to be employed.

peggylu and stonerose like this.
  18. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Maybe these members of staff can't help their weight? But once again what would her stance be towards an individual who in her opinion looks underweight or anorexic who may just be naturally slim and lean.

Quite rightedly would she refuse the care of an overweight paramedic/doctor? I think not.

And yes she has the same warped way of thinking as Katie Hopkins. Professional queen of codswallop.

stonerose and needabreak like this.
  19. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

The world is going berserk. Really really off the walk berserk.

stonerose and needabreak like this.
  20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Thinking about obesity from a different angle - could Darwin's theory of natural selection be a factor. Maybe mother nature favours obesity ready for the next ice age where six inches of blubber will be required to prevent us from freezing to death. Maybe our bodies will adapt over the coming centuries until we have the physiology of a sea lion (or whatever).