1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roll Call

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by happygreenfrog, May 11, 2011.

1. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I'm a classroom grunt, male aged 46. 8/9 year olds are my specialty, 16 years experience, 7 overseas and a bit of private tutoring thrown in for good measure. Presently in SE Asia.
    You?

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I'm currently a classroom grunt also but used to be MLT. Year 5 is my teaching speciality plus interest in AfL and inquiry based learning. Age:not telling because I'm female but have 20+years experience with 8 years overseas. Currently in Europe but wanting to return to SE Asia next year.
    Next one please!

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I was Clovis's batman.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'm a fruitarian accountant.
    Sorry for misleading everyone.

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Fresh faced optimist brought down to Earth by joining a school that was hell on Earth. Now in second year of teaching. A few years underwriting before going into teaching. Off to Beijing in August. A couple of years before I turn 30 but I'm sure it was only last week when I was 20. Any clue as to what happened to them?

6. 'A couple of years before I turn 30 but I'm sure it was only last week when I was 20. Any clue as to what happened to them?'
    Wait until you're saying that in decades.....

7. Ex-avionic aircraft technician (UK), degree in obscure but interesting subject (UK), ex-ESL teacher (China / Japan / Taiwan), ex-business owner (Canada), degree in teaching (Canada), currently a substitute teacher (Canada), starting first full time post (post-cert.) in Cairo in August. 42 year old Brit, Canadian wife, one daughter.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Once upon a time I painted hexes for a living.

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I'm the "Before" picture for the SlimFast diet

10. Once upon my time I worked on planes.

11. So you say "How are you? My name is happygreenfrog."
    I'm in safe hands. [​IMG]

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I could be wrong but I think many would not want to put too much detail about themselves in this thread in case they might be 'identified'.
    We don't always put complimentary things about the schools we work/have worked in, schools we have knowledge about or people we work/have worked with/know of.
    If I put "I am 36, married with 2 sons. Worked in Birmingham 2 years before moving to Thailand 2 years, Vietnam 3 years. Now having fun teaching in Cairo. No immediate plans to move back to UK", somebody may be able to work out who I am and find all other threads I have contributed to.
    I recently put a thread on the PE forum, and stupidly mentioned it to my line manager at work. I had it removed (thank you TES) because I didn't want an SMT member looking for other things I had said (although I would not say anything negative about my current school, nor probably the previous 2).
    Perhaps I am paranoid, perhaps not.
    Maybe I need counselling.........

13. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

The only reason to be paranoid these days is if your name is Hugh Clarkson or even Jeremy Bonneville, apparently the rest of us have naught to fear....

14. Totally agree - I'm not going to put any details about myself either in case I'm identified.

Regards,
    Robby Williams

15. Stoopers: "Hello, my name's Stopwatch - I need to talk to someone."
    HGF: "Welcome Mr. Stopwatch, I am happygreenfrog and my rates are rather reasonable."
    Stoppers: "Have you made any real progress with your clients?"
    HGF: "A little, there's a bloke over there who thinks he's Robby Williams..."
    Someone who isn't Robby Williams: "Eh, eh, eh, alright, alright, I am Robby Williams!"
    HPG "I've done my best!"
    SWINRW: "But I AM Robby Williams!"
    Stoppers and HGF look on pitifully.
    SWINRW "Oh, bollocks to you both" SWINRW leaves in a huff grumbling 'I'm loving angels instead...'
    HGF: "So, anyway, Mr. Stoppers, we have to start with a clean sheet, what is your real name?"
    Stoppers: "It's Cliff, Cliff Richard."

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

There you go look, I knew somebody would work it out one day.
    Now I have to go create a new identity
    Hmmmmm...... I think Blubberer has a nice ring to it.

PS SWINRW?

17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

You may be. But that doesn't mean they're not out to get you (does it, Bobb?)

18. I guess I don't feel like I'm saying anything that I need to feel paranoid about. I think most of my posts are well thought out and balanced (that's my perception, anyway). Plus, I'm going to a school that 99% of people on here have never heard of, partly because it doesn't use the National Curriculum, and I'm pretty sure the admin in my school don't look at this forum for the same reason.
    Besides, if I was going to say anything controversial I would use my 'controversial' TES handle (if I can still remember the password) instead of my 'thought out and balanced' one.

19. I actually feel uneasy hiding behind a false name, I really don't know why, even though I understand the reasons why it might be sensible to have a pseudonym on this forum.

20. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Which is why I find it very odd that TES added the profile facility a few years ago. I think a little careful detail is okay, to give other peeps a background when chatting but yes too much detail could be an issue. You never know when you might bump into one of you SMT types in an interview.