1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role plays in the new GCSE exams

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by davidgclare, Jan 27, 2018.

1. davidgclare

davidgclare New commenter

Is it written anywhere which role-play situations could come up in the new GCSE Speaking Exam? If so, are certain situations deemed to be 'Foundation' and others 'Higher'? I have made a note of the situations which appear in the AQA SAMs 1 and 2 but don't know if these are exhaustive or not.

2. sanriku

sanriku New commenter

Having looked at both I think the main difference is in the level of language you are supposed to tackle. Foundation looks for present tense and maybe one other if the candidate is unlucky; Higher looks for two or three. My concern with this and the other elements of the speaking is that I may be overmarking as the specification, especially for foundation, seems to ask for so little when compared with the difficulty of the other skills examined.

3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Key thing at both levels is communication. It's the only bit you don't need to develop and too much development could even be counter-productive.

BrightonEarly likes this.
  4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I agree with @cake4tea. Pupils will be assessed on how well they get the message across. Errors will only count if they delay, impede or prevent communication of the message. For example, using the wrong tense would affect communication.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

AQA always used this principle when assessing role plays and also foundation and higher writing in older exams. As an assessment tool, it used to work very well and would transfer very well to the new style exams.

The content of the role play can be drawn from any part of the specification, @davidgclare have you noted the need for pupils to be able to ask a question?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. cthomas1983

cthomas1983 New commenter

7. davidgclare

davidgclare New commenter

Thanks for all the above responses - all very helpful. Is it written anywhere which role-play situations could come up ? eg. at the doctor's / asking for directions / shopping ....