1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by y9840125, Jan 23, 2011.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Hello everyone,

I am a Secondary English teacher currently writing a unit of work on role play and was wondering if anyone might have some previously tried and tested fantastic ideas for teaching role play? I am a bit out of my depth here but would welcome any suggestions :)

2. "Chair of death" always worked for me as an intro
    As herself, "a" persuades "b" to sit on the chair, which b "doesn't know" is a chair of death (which will kill them in an imaginative way, then b's will get a chance to pesuade a to sit on his chair.
    no physical contact, don't sit in the chair too soon or the roleplay is over. Don't just refuse to sit, as the roleplay never gets started
    Then try adding fictional characters and contexts- perhaps "a" is a teacher getting a pupil, "b", to sit for detention. Perhaps they are at a football match or in a beauty salon. Get them to think up their own situations- and there you go- roleplay.

3. Hello,
    The most important thing is to have a context for the role-play - it can be quite meaningless to teach a drama skill or technique without a context. Context helps the pupils to understand character, empathy and circemstances; eg, what might actually happen in the role-play. Why are you asking them to perform a role-play? what do you want the outcome to be? When you have set up a context and a reason, then you can start thinking about teaching them the skills they need to employ to create an effective role-play; voice, body language, facial expression, content, movement etc. Without any real context, the role-play will be empthy and without depth of understanding. An example would be teaching a unit of work about the match girl strikes - the girls in the match factory are fined a shilling for being late because the boss is a horrible *** and they are treated atrociously - the girl has a sister who is seriously ill and without her full wage (which is only 4 shillings a week) the family cannot afford to buy her medicine and she could get worse or even die. I would then ask small groups to role play or improvise a conversation where the girl is asking other match workers for help and advice; what do they say to her? are they sympathetic or are they just as poor as her? do they tell her to shutup because if they are heard talking they might get fined again - they must think about the responses from the other girls, how they talk (whisper) and whether or not the problem is resolved.

4. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Thank you for your suggestions so far x