1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role-play topic boxes for different countries

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahmilly, Jan 4, 2012.

1. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

I'm trying to get organised!
    Next half term I'm going to have a role-play where the children travel on a plane/train... Not sure which!
    I want them to choose from a country, travel there and then use a topic box from that country to role-play their stay there...

I'm happy for them to go anywhere in the world!...

My thoughts have been a bit stereotypical... Eg.. France- striped t-shirt, string of onions, baguette, etc...

Does anybody have any other, 'doable' ideas????

Many thanks, if you do

Xxx

2. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

I'm trying to get organised!
    Next half term I'm going to have a role-play where the children travel on a plane/train... Not sure which!
    I want them to choose from a country, travel there and then use a topic box from that country to role-play their stay there...

I'm happy for them to go anywhere in the world!...

My thoughts have been a bit stereotypical... Eg.. France- striped t-shirt, string of onions, baguette, etc...

Does anybody have any other, 'doable' ideas????

Many thanks, if you do

Xxx

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, but reinforcing stereotypes isn't something I want to do. What other ideas do you have?

4. Perhaps try to be more factual in your approach. You could work through the senses which would avoid being less stereotypical e.g. what might you see there, smell/taste there, key words in a particular language, maybe an age appropriate phrase book - e.g. India: photographs of Taj mahal, various spices and fragrances to smell in jars, key words, Indian music, questions placed around the area......
    You could think about it being more of a cultural experience for the children rather than Western/British perceptions.
    Hope the children enjoy it!