1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play in Year 2.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thfc125, Jul 25, 2007.

1. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I have just found this thread in my hotlist and I thought I would post and see if anyone has any more fantastic ideas! I have just set up a garden centre for after Easter but I would love some ideas on how to use it effectively with year 1 and 2.

2. I wouldn't worry too much about objectives. The children enjoy it and there is something to be said for adults not determining how children play. Let them just enjoy it as a social activity or speaking and listening that should be objectives enough.

3. Yes, our school in East Yorks has a role-play area in every KS1 class.We also have other areas of provision and these are set up on a half-termly basis, linked to topic work. Our construction area has toys which are available all year rounds such as lego.I've taught Y2 before from 2000 - 2002 and we didn't have ANY toys at all in the classroom, so coming back to KS1 was challenging. Our school, along with others within our town, decided to move towards a play-based approach in KS1 with the support of our local Early Years Consultant. Some schools in the area are now planning and teaching to the same six areas as in the foundation stage. Our school is not, although we have, this year, beginning the transition from QCA units to topics. We still teach according to the national curriculum but we aim to have a group of children involved in play-based work during independent or group activities and sometimes this includes adult directed or child initiated play, depending on the subject. For example we try to encourage use of the role-play area within topic or Literacy lessons. However during money and problem solving work we have set up the role-play area as a shop! After Easter, our topic is holidays. The role-play area is to be set up as a campsite with the writing and reading area transformed into a travel agents, complete with letter box for children to practise writing postcards. Our head was new to the school after the change and is supportive of what we have done. Considering Jim Rose is proposing changes to the Primary Curriculum, our guess is that areas of provisions will end up being moved into KS1 and possibly KS2. The first year or two will be challenging for any school making this transition, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it and am pleased I requested the move back from KS2 to KS1.

4. I am in year 2 and have a different role-play every half term

Have had a zoo to fit with 'animals' topic
    Had a news and wethaer station for topic 'whatever the weather'
    Doctors for 'Healthy bodies'
    We had a home corner with accesories for birthdays/christmas/diwali/chinese new year/jewish wedding so the children could choose their own celebration.
    Coming up I have got a unit calle 'Art attack' so going to have an art attack studio with cameras and a variety of things to do and make. Plus we will also have a gallery.
    In su2 I will have a plane as we are covering 'Going places'.
    We have to have role-play in all infant classes and is working up through the school.

5. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Any ideas for what year 1/2 children could do in a garden centre? I have set up a garden centre roleplay but now need some activities for them to do in there so that it gets the best use!